No. 20 USC Lacrosse Gets 18-10 Win Over California
BERKELEY, Calif. – The 20th-ranked USC lacrosse team (3-2, 1-0 Pac-12) defeated California, 18-10, at California Memorial Stadium on Friday, March 12, for its 11th straight victory over the Golden Bears (1-3, 0-1). It was the defending Pac-12 champion Trojans' ninth straight win in a league-opener.
- So. attacker Ella Heaney scored a career-high five goals to lead the Trojans with her second-career hat trick game.
- Sr. midfielder Kelsey Huff recorded her 17th-career hat trick with three goals and now ranks fourth all-time in program history for career hat trick games. She also had three draw controls and caused a turnover.
- Gr. attacker Maddie McDaniel reeled in seven draw controls and scored two goals.
- Gr. attacker Izzy McMahon posted five points and led all players with four assists.
- Jr. defender Kaleigh Brennan and So. defender Danielle Carson each had three ground balls.
- So. goalie Delaney Sweitzer got her first start in goal and collected her first win with seven saves.
- For the Golden Bears, Quinnlyn Mason led with three goals. LizaBanks Campagna had five draw controls and caused three turnovers. Olivia Dey scored twice. In goal, Riley Drullinger had 12 saves in the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- USC scored the first five goals of the game behind a quick hat trick by Heaney and never led by fewer than four goals the rest of the way. The Trojans out-shot the Bears, 38-20, and won the center circle by an 18-12 count in draw controls.
- The teams traded goals for 17 minutes of the first half, which left the Trojans on top, 10-5, at halftime.
- Mason scored her third goal of the game to pull the Bears within five with 9:08 left to play, but the Women of Troy scored three more to put the game out of reach and finish with the 18-10 victory.
- USC heads to South Bay for a Sunday-matinee (March 14) matchup at No. 21 Stanford (2-0, 1-0 Pac-12) at Stanford Stadium. The Trojans and the Cardinal will be shown live on Pac-12 Networks at 2 p.m. PT.
- USC improved to 11-1 all-time against California and has won 11 straight over the Golden Bears. The Trojans also improved to 6-0 all-time in games against Cal in Berkeley.
- The Women of Troy go to 11-3 all-time in games played in the Bay Area.
- USC improved to 9-0 in league openers, including a 3-0 in league openers played on the road.
All USC women's lacrosse competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines, available at Pac-12.com/health. For more information on the USC women's lacrosse team, a complete schedule, and results, please visit USCTrojans.com. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow the team on Instagram and on Twitter @USCTrojansLax.