USC's McKay Johnson, Earnest Sears III Take Second In Events At NCAA Indoor Championships
McKay Johnson placed second in the men's shot put, Earnie Sears took second in the men's high jump and TeeTee Terry tied the school record in the women's 60m dash semifinal to lead USC during the second day of competition at the 2021 NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships held at Randal Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville, Ark. today (March 12). Also four Trojans advanced to event finals tomorrow.
- Johnson was the first Trojan in action and he placed second in the men's shot put with a best mark of 66-3 (20.19m) to earn USC eight points in the team competition. It was a very clutch throw as he had fouls in his first two attempts and this mark came in his third attempt to allow him to reach the finals.
- Sears III took second in the men's high jump with a clearance of 7-4.50 (2.24m) to also earn USC eight points in the team competition. He cleared that height in his first attempt to move temporarily into first, but after falling behind by missing twice at 7-5.25 (2.27m), he moved the bar to 7-6.50 (2.30m) but missed in his attempt.
- Morgan Smalls placed eighth in the women's high jump with a best clearance of 5-11.25 (1.81m), just off her USC indoor record of 5-11.50 (1.82m). She earned USC's women's team its first team point of the competition.
- Smalls came back to finish 14th in the women's long jump with a best leap of 20-5.00 (6.22m) in her third-round attempt.
- Zach Shinnick placed 10th in the men's 200m dash by running a time of 20.91 to finish third in his semifinal heat.
- Terry had a time of 7.09 in the women's 200m semifinal to advance to the final tomorrow with the fastest time. Terry's time is a PR and tied Angela Williams' school record. It is also the fastest time run this indoor season by an American woman.
- Terry ran a 200m PR of 22.96 to advance sixth to tomorrow's final in the event. She also moved fron T-8th to 6th on USC's all-time list.
- Brendon Stewart advanced to the men's 60m dash final tomorrow fourth overall, after taking third in his semifinal heat with a time of 6.60.
- Kaelin Roberts had a time of 52.27 to win her heat and advance seventh to the women's 400m final tomorrow.. Bailey Lear had a time of 52.37 to finish third in her 400m heat and finished ninth overall, while Nicole Yeargin had a time of 52.81 to take second in her heat and finish 12th overall.
- Mecca McGlaston ran 8.16 to take fifth in her 60m hurdles semifinal and advanced eighth to the final tomorrow. Jasmine Jones didn't not finish the race in her heat.