No. 10 USC Men’s Tennis Earns Pac-12 Win Over Utah
LOS ANGELES — The No. 10 USC men's tennis team snagged a 7-0 win in its first Pac-12 match of the year, taking the doubles point and pressing on to victory over visiting Utah today at Marks Stadium. USC improves to 11-4 overall and opens up 1-0 in conference play with the win.
USC captured a quick doubles point thanks to fire fueled first by Bradley Frye and Sean Holt's 6-1 win on court three. At the No. 2 spot, Jake Sands and Lodewijk Weststrate whipped up a 6-2 win, suspending a tighter affair on court one and pocketing the opening point for the Trojans.
As singles unfurled, Bradley Frye scampered his way to a speedy 6-3, 6-3 win on court two over Utah's Geronimo Espin Busleiman to make it a 2-0 Trojan lead. At the top spot, #19 Riley Smith cleaned up a 6-4, 6-3 win over Slava Shainyan to put USC in position. The remaining matches were largely hanging in the balance, however, with two having stretched into third sets. The other two matches had Trojans scrape out tiebreak wins in the first sets, and both Trojans would rebound press on to claim their matches in straight sets. On court four, Jake Sands hit the finish line first, upending Bruno Krenn 7-6 (3), 6-3 to secure the clincher for the Trojans.
Action played on, with Lodewijk Weststrate making it 5-0 Trojans on his 7-6 (6), 6-3 decision over Francisco Bastias from court three. In the three-setters, Sean Holt captured his first singles win as a Trojan in battling out a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 victory over Chris Heck on court five to make it 6-0 Trojans. Things tightened up for Colter Smith on court six, but the freshman hunkered down and pulled off the capper in notching a 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 win over Luis Flores to top off the day's work at Marks Stadium.
#10 USC 7, Utah 0
March 13, 2021 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #1 Cukierman/R. Smith (USC) vs. Bastias/Shainyan (UTAH) - 4-5 susp.
(2) Sands/Weststrate (USC) def. Flores/Krenn (UTAH) - 6-2
(3) Frye/Holt (USC) def. Busleiman/C. Heck (UTAH) - 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #19 Riley Smith (USC) def. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) - 6-4, 6-3
(2) Bradley Frye (USC) def. Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UTAH) - 6-3, 6-3
(3) Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) - 7-6 (6), 6-3
(4) Jake Sands (USC) def. Bruno Krenn (UTAH) - 7-6 (3), 7-5*
(5) Sean Holt (USC) def. Chris Heck (UTAH) - 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
(6) Colter Smith (USC) def. Luis Flores (UTAH) - 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4*, 3, 5, 6