No. 11 Softball Aims to Close Out BU Series
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The No. 11 Arizona State softball team takes to Club Farrington for a little Sunday Funday action to close out the two-game series versus Baylor University (13-4). The first pitch is set for 10 a.m. AZT/PT on March 14 and is open to a limited group of fans.
ASU (17-1) is on its best start since 2014, with a 10-game winning streak heading into Sunday. ASU matched up against Baylor earlier in the week, notching a 7-4 win.
SUN DEVIL REWIND
Baylor came in hot as the team had the first run at the top of the first inning, but the Sun Devils and starting pitcher Allison Royalty settled in quickly.
At the bottom of the first, Maddi Hackbarth tied the game, 1-1, with a solo home run - her 11th of the year.
The Sun Devils continued to put on a show with Jazmine Hill hitting a two-RBI double off the wall to bring Loomis and Harper home to grant the Sun Devils the 4-2 lead in the fourth.
In that same inning, Maddi Hackbarth returned to the plate and battled to a full count before going yard for the second time on the night. She collected three RBIs with Hill and Kindra Hackbarth on base. Hackbarth has hit two home runs in the same game twice this season.
— Sun Devil Softball (@ASUSoftball) March 12, 2021
Both teams remained scoreless through the fifth and sixth. The Bears gave a late offensive push, scoring two runs in the top of the seventh inning. Cielo Meza came in as relief for the Sun Devils and secured the 7-4 win against the Bears.
- M.Hackbarth leads the Pac-12 with 12 home runs after having two Thursday night. Her .491 batting average ranks third in the 'Conference of Champions' while her 34 RBI leads the Pac by nine.
- With 57 strikeouts, Allison Royalty leads the ASU pitching staff this season. Royalty reached her 50th strikeout of the season against Baylor on Thursday.
- Maddi and Kindra Hackbarth, Alli Tatnall, Jazmine Hill, Makenna Harper, and Denae Chatman all have a batting average above .400.
- Alynah Torres' six home runs are second on the team and fourth in the conference.
- Jazmine Hill has 25 RBIs through 18 games played to rank second on the squad and in the Pac-12 behind Maddi Hackbarth.
- Denae Chatman made the top-five in conference RBI with 20 in 18 game starts. Chatman also boasts a .667 batting average with the bases loaded. The senior performs in tense situations - hitting a .545 and eight RBI with two outs through 11 at-bats in such situations.
- The Sparky uniforms remained undefeated through the contest with Baylor on Thursday night. The unis are now 9-0 since their debut in February 2020.
Sparky stays undefeated ??
Never lost with this uni combo in program history pic.twitter.com/ToxZcyGi9B
— Sun Devil Softball (@ASUSoftball) March 13, 2021
HOW TO FOLLOW
For updates and information on Sun Devil Softball, follow the team on Instagram (@sundevilsb) and our Twitter (@ASUSoftball). For live scoring of Sunday's game, visit our website (thesundevils.com/sports/softball). This game will be available to watch for free on the Pac-12/ASU Live Stream.