#26 Sun Devils Sweep Trip to Evergreen State
SEATTLE - No. 26 Arizona State (9-0, 3-0 Pac-12) went 2-0 this weekend with its 5-2 win over Pac-12 foe Washington (8-4, 1-3 Pac-12) Sunday morning. Domenika Turkovic won her third consecutive singles match in the victory. ASU kicked off the weekend with a 6-1 victory over No. 38 Washington. ASU is now a perfect 3-0 in Pac-12 matches, something the team hasn't done since the 2014-15 season.
"It's nice to get another good road win," head coach Sheila McInerney said. "We struggled in doubles today, but I thought we bounced back and played well in the singles. We were very disciplined in our singles play which helped us to win four matches in straight-sets which was nice. Happy for the team to get the sweep this weekend."
The Huskies took the opening point with 6-0 and 6-4 wins on doubles courts one and three, Vanessa Wong/Sedona Gallagher beatint Lauryn John-Baptiste/Ilze Hattingh and Sarah-Made Fortin/Tara Chilton winning over Giulua Morlet/Domenika Turkovic. Sammi Hampton/Marianna Argyrokastriti were done 4-5 on court two when the point ws clinched.
ASU bounced back in singles thanks to Turkovic's 6-2, 6-4 victory at court six over Yolanda Lin and Morlet's 6-2, 6-1 sweep at No. 4 over Zoey Weil. Wong then topped Hattingh in two frames to bring the match to 2-2.
John-Baptiste and Hampton clinched the day for ASU, each Sun Devil going two sets on their respective courts. Argyrokastriti then went the distance against Chilton at No. 5 to put the final tally in ASU's box.
ASU travels out to Berkeley, California, next Saturday to play Cal at noon MST. The Sun Devils then kick off a five-match home stretch the following Wednesday when New Mexico State comes to visit.
3/14/2021 at Seattle, Wash.
(Nordstrom Tennis Center)
#26 Arizona State 5, #40 Washington 2
1. #74 Vanessa Wong (WASH) def. #37 Hattingh,Ilze (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #115 Hampton,Sammi (ASU) def. Sarah-Maude Fortin (WASH) 6-3, 6-4
3. John-Baptiste,Lauryn (ASU) def. Sedona Gallagher (WASH) 6-2, 6-4
4. Morlet,Giulia (ASU) def. Zoey Weil (WASH) 6-2, 6-1
5. Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) def. Tara Chilton (WASH) 6-0, 5-7, 1-0 (10-0)
6. Turkovic,Domenika (ASU) def. Yolanda Lin (WASH) 6-2, 6-4
1. Vanessa Wong/Sedona Gallagher (WASH) def. John-Baptiste,Lauryn/Hattingh,Ilze (ASU) 6-0
2. Zoey Weil/Yolanda Lin (WASH) def. Hampton,Sammi/Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) 5-4
3. Sarah-Maude Fortin/Tara Chilton (WASH) def. Morlet,Giulia/Turkovic,Domenika (ASU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,4,1,3,2,5)