No. 21 USC Women’s Tennis Falls 4-1 to No. 4 Pepperdine
LOS ANGELES--The No. 21 USC women's tennis team fell 4-1 to No. 4 Pepperdine today (Mar. 14) at Marks Stadium. This was the third time this season the Trojans have faced the Waves. The Women of Troy now hold a 7-5 overall record on the 2021 season.
Doubles kicked off and the Waves struck first as Zaar/Pachkaleva defeated USC's Dvorak/Willson 6-4 on court three. After Failla/ Fukuda defeated the Trojan pair of Cayetano/Cheong 6-2 on court one, Pepperdine took the doubles point.
USC entered singles down 0-1. Pepperdine continued to push points as No. 88 Taisiya Pachkaleva beat Trojan junior Danielle Willson 6-1, 6-2 on court four. The Waves scored another point from No. 33 Jessica Failla when she defeated USC freshman No. 103 Naomi Cheong 6-3, 7-5 on court one to give the Waves a 3-0 lead.
USC junior Salma Ewing put the Trojans on the board with her 6-2, 7-5 victory over Pepperdine's No. 12 Shiori Fukuda. The Waves held a 3-1 lead.
On court six, Trojan redshirt senior Clare McKee fell 3-6, 6-1, 6-1 to Pepperdine's Lisa Zaar on court six. This victory clinched the match for the Waves and the remaining courts in play were suspended.
Next weekend, the Women of Troy return to Marks Stadium for two days of Pac-12 tennis. USC will face Colorado on Friday (Mar. 19) at 1:30 p.m. PT, and then challenge Utah on Saturday (Mar. 20) at 12 p.m. PT.
Pepperdine 4, USC 1
March 14, 2021 – Marks Stadium | Los Angeles, Calif.
- Failla/ Fukuda (Pepp) def. Cayetano/Cheong (USC) – 6-2
- Ewing/McKee (USC) vs. Lahey/ Redelijk (Pepp) – 3-5 susp.
- Zaar / Pachkaleva (Pepp) def. Dvorak/Willson (USC) – 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1
Pepperdine wins the doubles point
- #33 Jessica Failla (Pepp) def. #103 Naomi Cheong (USC) – 6-3, 7-5
- #48 Eryn Cayetano (USC) vs. #1 Ashley Lahey (Pepp) – 7-6 (10), 3-6, 2-2 susp.
- Salma Ewing (USC) def. #12 Shiori Fukuda (Pepp) – 6-2, 7-5
- #88 Taisiya Pachkaleva (Pepp) def. Danielle Willson (USC) – 6-1, 6-2
- Summer Dvorak (USC) vs. Nikki Redelijk (Pepp) – 7-5, 4-6, 0-1 susp.
- Lisa Zaar (Pepp) def. Clare McKee (USC) – 3-6, 6-1, 6-1*
Order of Finish: 4, 1,3, 6*