USC Women's Volleyball Falls to No. 8 Washington in Seattle
SEATTLE – The USC women's volleyball team (3-7, 3-7 Pac-12) was defeated by No. 8 Washington (13-3, 13-3) in straight sets (25-16, 26-24, 25-15) at Alaska Airlines Arena on Sunday, March 14.
- Sr. OH Brooke Botkin led all players with 11 kills (7e, 31att, .129) and had three digs, two blocks, and a service ace.
- Jr. OH Brooklyn Schirmer had seven kills (4e, 18att, .167) to go with five digs and a block.
- Jr. setter Raquel Lázaro put up 20 assists and had eight digs.
- So. libero Sophia Theriot led the USC defense with nine digs.
- For Washington, Samantha Drechsel had 10 kills (1e, 20att, .450) with five digs and five blocks. Madi Endsley added nine kills (2e, 25att, .280) to go with four service aces. Lauren Sanders had 10 blocks and Ella May Powell put up 28 assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Huskies hit .360, scored on four blocks and three service aces, and held USC to a .000 hitting percentage to claim a 25-16 win in the first set. The Trojans had a 13-11 edge in digs, but Claire Hoffman scored five of UW's 10 kills in the win.
- The lead changed 11 times in the second frame, but the Trojans claimed set point at 24-23 behind seven kills in the set from Botkin. Hoffman was the difference again as she served back-to-back aces and finished with four in the set to help the Huskies take a 2-0 lead in the match on a 26-24 win in set two.
- Washington took early command of set three and held off the USC push despite the Trojans' attempt to close the gap. USC never came closer than a single point of UW and had as many hitting errors as kills in a 25-15 loss. Washington racked up six more blocks and had 14 kills on a .480 hitting percentage in the third set.
- USC returns to Southern California to host crosstown rival UCLA (11-5, 11-5 Pac-12) in a home-and-home series this weekend. The Trojans and Bruins meet first on Friday (March 19) at Galen Center for an 8 p.m. PT start. They are scheduled to meet for a second match at Pauley Pavilion on Sunday (March 21) at 4:30 p.m. PT. Both contests will be shown live on Pac-12 Networks.
- USC fell to 43-30 all-time against Washington and to 17-18 in road matches against the Huskies.
- The Trojans dropped to 40-33 all-time in matches played in the Evergreen State.
- Washington swept USC in straight sets for the first time since 2016. USC goes to 22-12 all-time in three-set matches against the Huskies.
This season (2020-21), the Pac-12 plays a 22-match Conference-only schedule as its 2020 season, which began on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. All volleyball competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines available at Pac-12.com/health.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.