Women's Tennis Comes Up Short Against Oregon
EUGENE, Ore. - The Utah women's tennis team closed out the week with a Pac-12 match against the Oregon Ducks on the road, falling 4-3 in a tight match. Utah battled in singles play and took three wins, but could not get the fourth point after early losses.
Starting with doubles, Lindsay Hung and Anastasia Goncharova fell to the Oregon duo, 6-1 on court two to get the day started. The Utes regained momentum when Madeline Lamoreaux and Emily Dush defeated their opponents on court one, finishing 6-4 and left the doubles point decision to court three. Despite their efforts, the Ducks downed Utes Anya Lamoreaux and Jasmine Rich 6-3 and secured the valuable point.
Needing four singles wins, Oregon managed to get two quick points and push the lead to 3-0. On court one, M. Lamoreaux fell to Oregon's Tjen, 6-2, 6-0, and soon after, Oregon's Eshet took the upper hand against Madison Tattini, 6-3, 6-1 on court six.
Battling to extend the match, Hung was edged 7-5 in the first set and then fell in another close set, this time 6-4, to grant the Ducks the match clinching point and keep Utah off the board.
Although the match was out of reach, the remaining Utes worked to stop Oregon from adding wins. Utah's first point came on court five, where A. Lamoreaux got it done in straight sets after pulling out a 7-3 tiebreaker win in the first to win 7-6, while following with a 6-2 second-set victory.
Shortly after, Dush defeated Oregon's Mould on court two after a competitive match from the start. Dush picked up a 6-3 win in the first, but fell in the third 6-7 (5) in the tiebreaker. The two continued the competitive match and it was Dush who came out on top of the tiebreaker as the third set 10-8 for the match win. Utah's last point came on court four, where Goncharova also went to a third after falling in her second set. She took down her opponent on court four, 6-1, 2-6, 7-5 to close out the match.
The Utes will head to Southern California next weekend to continue Pac-12 play. On Friday, Mar. 19, the Utes will play against the UCLA Bruins at the Los Angeles Tennis Center at 2:30 p.m. MT. On Saturday, Mar. 20, the Utes will face the USC Trojans at the Marks Tennis Stadium at 1 p.m. MT.
OREGON 4, UTAH 3
1. Janice Tjen (ORE) def. Madeline Lamoreaux (UTAH), 6-2, 6-0
2. Emily Dush (UTAH) def. Lillian Mould (ORE), 6-3, 6-7 (5), 1-0 (10-8)
3. Rifanty Kahfiani (ORE) def. Lindsay Hung (UTAH), 7-5, 6-4
4. Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) vs Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) 6-1, 2-6, 7-5
5. Anya Lamoreaux (UTAH) def. Allison Mulville (ORE), 7-6 (3), 6-2
6. Julia Eshet (ORE) def. Madison Tattini (UTAH), 6-3, 6-1
1. Madeline Lamoreaux/Emily Dush (UTAH) def. Rifanty Kahfiani/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE), 6-4
2. Lillian Mould/Janice Tjen (ORE) def. Lindsay Hung/Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH), 6-1
3. Allison Mulville/Julia Eshet (ORE) def. Anya Lamoreaux/Jasmine Rich (UTAH), 6-3