No. 10 USC Men’s Tennis Scores 5-2 Road Win at San Diego
SAN DIEGO, CALIF. — The No. 10 USC men's tennis team hit the road and collected a 5-2 win in San Diego in the Trojans' visit to the Toreros today. No. 35 host San Diego kept the heat on USC, tying it up early and keeping the Trojans close until Riley Smith notched a tight clincher and then Lodewijk Weststrate added to the advantage to tie up the road win. USC improves to 12-4 overall with the victory.
USC was strong in doubles play, picking up victories on courts three and one to shoulder an early lead. Jake Sands and Lodewijk Weststrate combined forces for a 6-4 win at the No. 3 spot first, followed by top-ranked Daniel Cukierman and Riley Smith's same scoreline at the No. 1 position to etch the 1-0 lead on the board for USC.
San Diego fired back in singles with a 6-3, 6-1 win on court six by Blake Kasday over USC freshman Sean Holt. Snarled up 1-1, USC rallied back ahead with Bradley Frye's 7-6 (5), 6-4 win over Sacchitt Sharrma on court three. Soon after, Jake Sands whipped up a 7-5, 6-4 win on court five over Marvin Schraber, and USC was up 3-1 on its host. In a hefty battle on court one, San Diego's #60 Austin Holmgren fought off USC's #1 Daniel Cukierman and grabbed a three-set win 6-2, 2-6, 6-0 to get the Toreros back within one at 3-2. On court two, though, #19 Rilley Smith pulled off the clincher with a 7-6 (5), 7-5 win over Nico Borter, making it 4-2 and with Weststrate closing in on victory on court four. Weststrate would round out the day's action with his 6-2, 5-7, 6-2 win over David Norfeldt, and USC was going home with some winning momentum in its sails.
Next up for the Trojans are a set of Pac-12 matches coming up next week. On Tuesday (March 23), USC hosts Stanford at 12 p.m. at Marks Stadium. From there, USC will head to face Arizona on March 26 and Arizona State on March 28 for two conference road tests.
#10 USC 5, #35 San Diego 2
March 16, 2021 | Hogan Center (San Diego, Calif.)
(1) #1 Cukierman/R. Smith (USC) def. Holmgren/Norfeldt (USD) - 6-4
(2) Dostanic/Frye (USC) vs. Borter/Sharrma (USD) - 4-3 susp.
(3) Sands/Weststrate (USC) def. Kasday/Schraber (USD) - 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 1
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #60 August Holmgren (USD) def. #1 Daniel Cukierman (USC) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-0
(2) #19 Riley Smith (USC) def. Nico Borter (USD) - 7-6 (5), 7-5*
(3) Bradley Frye (USC) def. Sacchitt Sharrma (USD) - 7-6 (5), 6-4
(4) Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. David Norfeldt (USD) - 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
(5) Jake Sands (USC) def. Marvin Schraber (USD) - 7-5, 6-4
(6) Blake Kasday (USD) def. Sean Holt (USC) - 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 3, 5, 1, 2*, 4