No. 17 Cal Hosts Arizona, No. 26 ASU At Hellman
BERKELEY – The No. 17 California women's tennis team returns to the Hellman Tennis Complex this week to host Arizona and No. 26 Arizona State. The Golden Bears (8-2, 2-1 Pac-12) play the Wildcats (8-6, 0-3 Pac-12) on Friday at 1:30 p.m. and then play the Sun Devils (9-3, 3-0 Pac-12) on Saturday at 12 p.m.
Fans can follow the matches via the Hellman live stream and live scores by clicking here. Match updates are also available on Twitter @CalWomensTennis.
Last Time: Cal Tops USD 4-3
Valentina Ivanov clinched Cal's 4-3 nonconference win on Sunday, March 14, at San Diego, beating Jordyn McBride, 6-4, 6-3, at court-three singles to secure the victory.
The Bears got off to a 1-0 start after taking the doubles point. Cal's new pair of Jada Bui and Julia Rosenqvist won the first match, 6-2, over McBride and Abigail Desiatnikov on court three, before Anna Bright and Hannah Viller Moeller beat Kati Kukaras and Victoria Kalaitzis, 6-3, on court two to clinch the point.
Cal's lead increased to 2-0 when Bui bested Victoria Kalaitzis, 6-1, 6-0, at court-four singles. Later, Bright posted a 6-2, 6-0 win over Kukaras on court six to give Cal a 3-1 advantage, and then Ivanov completed her match to wrap up the overall win.
Cal was ranked 17th in the March 10 Oracle ITA Rankings, with the new poll slated to come out on Wednesday, March 17. Three Bears are currently ranked in singles in No. 18 Haley Giavara (6-3), No. 26 Valentina Ivanov (6-4) and No. 43 Julia Rosenqvist (7-2). In doubles, Giavara and Ivanov (4-2) are ranked 40th, and the duo of Rosenqvist and Anna Bright is ranked 43rd (1-2).
- Cal's doubles pair of Giavara and Valentina Ivanov had a notable win this year when it upset the top-ranked Elysia Bolton and Jada Hart, 6-4, in Cal's 4-3 win over No. 3 UCLA on Feb. 20
- Anna Bright improved to 7-1 in singles at USD
- Hannah Viller Moeller and Jada Bui have had strong starts to their Cal careers in singles, as Viller Moeller is 7-2 and Bui is 5-0
- Also in singles, Erin Richardson is 3-2
- The doubles team of Bright and Viller Moeller is 5-2, while Rosenqvist and Richardson are 5-1
- Amanda Augustus is in her 14th year as head coach at her alma mater
- The Wildcats play Eastern Washington on Tuesday in Pullman, Washington (the site of Arizona's previous match vs. Washington State)
- Arizona is winless in the Pac-12 after losing three straight to Oregon, 4-3, Washington, 4-3, and Washington State, 4-2
- Ryan Stotland is in his third season as Arizona's head coach
- The Sun Devils play at No. 24 Stanford on Friday at 1:30 pm
- ASU beat Washington State, 6-1, on March 12 and Washington, 5-2, on March 14
- In singles, Ilze Hattingh is ranked 37th and Sammi Hampton is 115th
- In doubles, Hattingh and Tereza Kolorava are ranked 21st, while the duo of Hattingh and Lauryn John-Baptiste is ranked 50th
- Sheila McInerny is in her 37th year as head coach of the Sun Devils
Cal plays at No. 4 Pepperdine in a nonconference dual match on March 23 and then returns to Hellman to host Pac-12 matches against No. 40 Washington on March 26 and No. 38 Washington State on March 27.