No. 20 Cal Tames Wildcats 7-0
BERKELEY – Cal women's tennis enjoyed a win and a sunny day at home on Friday, with Arizona the latest opponent to fall to the 20th-ranked Golden Bears, 7-0, at the Hellman Tennis Complex. Freshman Jada Bui provided the clinching point, as she defeated the Wildcats' Abby Amos, 6-3, 6-2, at court-four singles.
The Bears improved their record to 9-2, including a 2-1 mark in the Pac-12 Conference and a perfect 6-0 record at home. Arizona is now 9-7 (0-4 Pac-12).
Cal surged to a 1-0 lead when the Bears captured the doubles point. The 40th-ranked duo of Haley Giavara and Valentina Ivanov started the Bears off strong with a 6-2 victory over the Wildcats Khim Iglupas and Jelena Lukic on court one. Jada Bui and Julia Rosenqvist provided the clincher with a 6-2 win over Arizona's Abby Amos and Talya Zandberg on court three.
Ivanov, ranked 26th in singles, soon gave Cal a 2-0 lead when she bested Zandberg, 6-2, 6-1, on court three. The 43rd-ranked Rosenqvist followed with a 6-1, 6-4 result over Kayla Wilkins on court two that put Cal one step closer to victory. Bui – with the second clinching win of her young Cal career – then decided matters on court four. The teams played out the final three matches, with Cal winning all three to post its fourth 7-0 triumph of the season.
"I'm really proud of these players, because they're getting better every week," Cal head coach Amanda Augustus said. "They're really open to learning and making adjustments on and off the court. As coaches we really appreciate that. We feel so fortunate to be competing every week and getting to see that growth. The players are really enjoying being in the routine of week in and week out matches, and we're happy to be into the Pac-12 season. Today we had a very good team victory."
Cal plays another conference match on Saturday at 12 p.m., when the Bears host No. 25 Arizona State at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
No. 20 California (9-2, 2-1 Pac-12) defeated Arizona (9-7, 0-4 Pac-12), 7-0
March 19, 2021, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. No. 40 Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. Khim Iglupas/Jelena Lukic (Arizona), 6-2
2. Gitte Heynemans/Kayla Wilkins (Arizona) def. Anna Bright/Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal), 6-3
3. Jada Bui/Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def Abby Amos/Talya Zandberg (Arizona), 6-2*
Order of Finish - 1, 3*, 2
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 18 Haley Giavara (Cal) def. Jelena Lukic (Arizona), 7-5, 7-6(5)
2. No. 43 Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Kayla Wilkins (Arizona), 6-1, 6-4
3. No. 26 Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. Talya Zandberg (Arizona), 6-2, 6-1
4. Jada Bui (Cal) def. Abby Amos (Arizona), 6-3, 6-2^
5. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Gitte Heynemans (Arizona), 4-6, 7-6(6), 1-0(4)
6. Anna Bright (Cal) def. Khim Iglupas (Arizona), 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish - 3, 2, 4^, 1, 5, 6
^Clinched the overall match