No. 24 USC Women’s Tennis Conquers Colorado, 4-0
LOS ANGELES--The No. 24 USC women's tennis team defeated Colorado 4-0 today (Mar. 19) at Marks Stadium. The Women of Troy now hold a 8-5 overall record and a 2-1 Pac-12 record for the 2021 season.
The Buffaloes struck first in doubles as Campos /Ecton beat USC's Dvorak/Willson 6-2 on court three. The Trojans responded with a win from court one when Cayetano/Cheong defeated Buffalo pair Eggink/Nayar 6-4. The doubles point rested on the result from court two. The Women of Troy prevailed and Ewing/McKee took down Colorado's Derivan /Forster to claim the doubles point.
USC held a 1-0 lead entering singles. USC junior Danielle Willson made the first push for Troy with her 6-4, 6-2 victory over Colorado's Maria Campos on court four.
After swiftly taking the first set 6-2, Trojan freshman No. 103 Naomi Cheong fell behind 1-3 in the second set. She fought hard to come back and take the set 6-4 to win her match and put a point on the board for USC. The Trojans led the match 3-0.
On court six, USC redshirt senior Clare McKee put the bow on a perfect match for the Trojans by defeating Fleur Eggink 6-3, 6-4 to clinch the match. This is McKee's third clinch of the season.
Tomorrow (Mar. 20), the Trojans return to Marks Stadium to take on Utah at 12 p.m. for another Pac-12 Conference matchup.
USC 4, Colorado 0
March 19, 2021 – Marks Stadium | Los Angeles, Calif.
- Cayetano/Cheong (USC) def. Eggink/Nayar (CU) – 6-4
- Ewing/McKee (USC) def. Derivan /Forster (CU) – 6-4*
- Campos /Ecton (CU) def. Dvorak/Willson (USC) – 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2*
USC wins the doubles point
- #48 Eryn Cayetano (USC) vs. Sara Nayar (CU) – 7-6 (5), 2-0 susp.
- #103 Naomi Cheong (USC) def. Sophia Derivan (CU)– 6-2, 6-4
- Salma Ewing (USC) vs. Antonia Balzert (CU) – 4-6, 2-1 susp.
- Danielle Willson (USC) def. Maria Campos (CU) – 6-4, 6-2
- Summer Dvorak (USC) vs. Megan Forster (CU) – 1-6, 5-3 susp.
- Clare McKee (USC) def. Fleur Eggink (CU) – 6-3, 6-4*
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 6*