USC Cruises Past Colorado
LOS ANGELES – Colorado women's tennis dropped a match Friday afternoon to No.23-ranked USC as the Trojans rolled over CU by a score of 4-0 here.
Colorado (7-5, 1-3 Pac-12) jumped out to an early advantage in doubles play, as Maria Campos and Ky Ecton won the No.3 doubles match 6-2 over the Trojan's (8-5, 2-1 Pac-12) Summer Dvorak and Danielle Willson. It was all Trojans from there on out as Eryn Cayetano and Naomi Cheong defeated Fleur Eggink and Sara Nayar in the No.1 doubles match by a score of 6-4.
Square at one match a piece, the first point came down to the No.2 doubles match. Salma Ewing and Clare McKee defeated Sophia Derivan and Megan Forster 6-4, clinching the doubles point and a 1-0 lead for USC.
Switching the focus over to singles play, the Trojans caught fire immediately. Willson made quick work of Campos, winning the No.4 singles match in straight sets 6-4, 6-2. No. 103 Cheong extended USC's lead to 3-0, as she won the No.2 singles match in straight sets, defeating Dervian 6-2, 6-4.
The third and final singles match to conclude was the No.6 match. McKee knocked off Eggink in straight sets, clinching the win for USC, by a score of 6-3, 6-4. The remaining three matches were suspended due to the Trojans clinching the 4-0 win..
The Buffaloes did not go down without a fight however, as they were winning two of the remaining three matches before suspension. Antonia Balzert was winning the No.3 singles match by a score of 6-4, 1-2 when the match was suspended. Forster was also winning the No.5 singles match 6-1, 3-5 before suspension.
Colorado visits No.5-ranked UCLA tomorrow at 1 p.m. MT in Westwood.
- #48 Eryn Cayetano (USC) vs. Sara Nayar (CU) 7-6(5), 2-0 susp.
- #103 Naomi Cheong (USC) def. Sophia Derivan (CU) 6-2, 6-4
- Salma Ewing (USC) vs. Antonia Balzert (CU) 4-6, 2-1 susp.
- Danielle Willson (USC) def. Maria Campos (CU) 6-4, 6-2
- Summer Dvorak (USC) vs. Megan Forster (CU) 1-6, 5-3 susp.
- Clare McKee (USC) def. Fleur Eggink (CU) 6-3, 6-4*
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 6*
- Cayetano/Cheong (USC) def. Eggink/Nayar (CU) 6-4
- Ewing/McKee (USC) def. Derivan/Forster (CU) 6-4*
- Campos/Ecton (CU) def. Dvorak/Willson (USC) 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2*