Women's Basketball Adds Dasia Young To 2021-22 Roster
SALT LAKE CITY – University of Utah Women's Basketball head coach Lynne Roberts announced the addition of transfer Dasia Young to the roster today, putting another strong forward in the mix for the 2021-22 season.
"I am really excited about Dasia joining our program," Roberts said. "She brings athleticism, aggressiveness and a toughness that we really need and have missed having the last couple of seasons. She's a winner, a competitor and is a really great addition to our returning talented group."
The skilled 5-11, forward will come to the Utes out of University of Tennessee-Martin where she played in 56 career games with 45 starts. The Jonesboro, Ark., native earned All-OVC first-team in 2020-21 after averaging 12.7 points, 6.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 steals per game.
She ranked in the top-15 in the OVC in 2020-21 in offensive rebounds, scoring, total rebounding, free throw percentage, steals, defensive rebounds and minutes played. She reached double-digits in 16 games last season with, including 10 straight, reaching the 20-point range four times.
Prior to Utah: Played in 56 career games with 45 starts at UT Martin from 2019-21, scoring 511 points (9.1 ppg).
- Averaged 12.7 points, 6.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 steals per game as a sophomore in 2020-21, earning All-OVC first-team and OVC All-Tournament Team (16.7 ppg, 9.7 rpg).
- Two double-doubles her sophomore season (Career-high 13 rbs, 11 pts vs. Jacksonville St.; 11 rbs, 24 pts vs. Eastern Illinois).
- 16 games in double digits (4 in 20+ point range) in 2020-21.
- Career-high 30 points on 12-of-13 shooting (92%) against Eastern Illinois on Feb. 27, 2021.
- Knocked down a career-best 16 free throws (16-18) against Eastern Illinois in the OVC Tournament in 2021.
- Averaged 23.2 minutes, 6.2 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game as a freshman in 2019-20, playing in 31 games while starting in 20.
- Reached double-digits in eight games her freshman season with a season-high of 15 (5-of-7) coming at SIUE on Jan. 25, 2020.
High School: Played basketball at Nettleton High School for head coach Jason Smith.
- Four-time all-conference selection.
- Two-time all-state honoree.
- AHSCA All-star nominee.
- Led her team to four conference championships with her team holding a record of 111-12 during her time at Nettleton.
- Averaged 12.2 points, 5.4 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.4 steals during her high school career, shooting 60-percent from the field.
- Helped her team to three-straight state semifinal appearances with Nettleton going 29-3 her junior year.
Personal: Daughter of Janice Watkins … has one sibling, Kamilah.