No. 20 Cal Tops No. 25 ASU
BERKELEY - It was a good day to be a Golden Bear after 20th-ranked Cal topped No. 25 Arizona State on Saturday afternoon in Hellman Tennis Complex. The Golden Bears improve to 10-2 after a 6-1 win against the Sun Devils and remain undefeated at home.
The 43rd-ranked Julia Rosenqvist clinched the win for the Bears after defeating the Sun Devils' Sammi Hampton 5-7, 6-1, 6-3.
The Bears opened with a rough start during doubles. ASU won the first match after Giulia Morlet and Domenika Turkovic defeated Cal's Rosenqvist and Jada Bui 6-1 early on at court three.The Sun Devils clinched the doubles point on court two when Cal's Anna Bright and Hannah Viller Moeller fell to ASU's Sammi Hampton and Marianna Argyrokastriti. Meanwhile, on court one Haley Giavara and Valentina Ivanov had a tight matchup against Ilze Hattingh and Lauryn John-Baptiste that was put to an early end at 4-4 after the Sun Devils clinched.
"We did a really good job today after losing the doubles point. ASU is always very tough in doubles, and we didn't quite get the start we wanted on all of the courts," said Cal head coach Amanda Augustus. "We came out to the singles very focused. To see us win all six singles matches was a good effort from our entire team. It is great to sweep back-to-back days amongst our singles matches, and we're very happy about that."
The Bears earned their first point during singles when Giavara bested Hattingh, 6-3, 6-2, on court one. Anna Bright captured the next point after two sets against Turkovic, 6-4, 6-2. The next point came from Bui on court four after defeating Morlet 6-4, 7-5.
The remaining matches all played into a third set. Rosenqvist would clinch for the Bears on court two and earn the Bears' fourth point. The remaining matches played out, with Cal rounding out a full singles sweep against the Sun Devils.
The Bears next travel down to Malibu to face the fourth-ranked Pepperdine Waves on Tuesday, March 23.
No. 20 California (10-2, 3-1 Pac-12) defeated No. 25 Arizona State (9-5, 3-1 Pac-12), 6-1
March 20, 2021, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. No. 40 Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal) vs. No. 50 Ilze Hattingh/Lauryn John-Baptiste (ASU), 4-4 Unfinished
2. Sammi Hampton/Marianna Argyrokastriti (ASU) def. Anna Bright/Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal), 6-3
3. Giulia Morlet/Domenika Turkovic (ASU) def. Julia Rosenqvist/Jada Bui (Cal), 6-1
Order of finish - 3, 2*
*Clinched doubles point
1. No. 18 Haley Giavara (Cal) def. No. 37 Ilze Hattingh (ASU), 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 43 Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. No. 115 Sammi Hampton (ASU), 5-7, 6-1, 6-3^
3. No. 26 Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. Lauryn John-Baptiste (ASU), 7-5, 5-7, 1-0(4)
4. Jada Bui (Cal) def. Giulia Morlet (ASU), 6-4, 7-5
5. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Marianna Argyrokastriti (ASU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
6. Anna Bright (Cal) def. Domenika Turkovic (ASU), 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 6, 4, 2^, 3, 5
^Clinched the overall match