Ducks Beat Utah in Pac-12 Home Opener
EUGENE, Ore. – The Oregon men's tennis team pushed its winning streak to four in a row and remained undefeated at home with Sunday's 4-0 victory over Utah. With the result, the Ducks improve to 12-2 this season with a 1-2 mark in Pac-12 play.
How it Happened: Within five minutes of one another, all three doubles matches ended with the Ducks coming out on top at No. 1 and 3 for the early 1-0 match lead. Emmanuel Coste and Jesper Klöv-Nilsson continued their strong play, posting a 6-1 triumph at the third spot. The UO pair is now 9-3 this season.
Utah (11-7, 1-3) pulled even with a 6-3 win at No. 2 doubles but nearly simultaneously, the Ducks' No. 1 duo of Joshua Charlton and Quinn Vandecasteele posted a 6-1 victory of its own to clinch the opening point for the home team. Oregon has won the doubles point in 11 of 14 matches this season.
Individually, Coste and Klöv-Nilsson were also the first to wrap up their singles matches at No. 1 and 4, respectively, giving Oregon a 3-0 advantage over the Utes. Coste dropped just two games in a 6-1, 6-1 rout at the top spot while Klöv-Nilsson tallied his team-leading 11th win by way of a 6-3, 6-1 score line.
Luke Vandecasteele secured the team victory with a straight-set win at No. 5 singles. On his second opportunity to serve out the match, the UO sophomore delivered with a 7-5, 6-4 win. The remaining three matches on court were stopped with the Ducks' victory in hand.
Charlton led 6-1, 6-5 at No. 2 singles, Quinn Vandecasteele trailed in the second set after winning the first in a tiebreaker at No. 3 and freshman Ryoma Matsushita lost his first set but had rattled off three games in a row to tie the second at 5-all at the No. 6 spot.
Up Next: The Ducks close out their five-match home stand March 27 against San Diego with first serve at 12 p.m. (PT). Oregon resumes Pac-12 play with an April 2-3 road trip to Los Angeles.
Oregon 4, Utah 0
1. Charlton/Q. Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Busleiman/Capalbo (UU) – 6-1
2. Shainyan/Bastias (UU) d. Lam/L. Vandecasteele (ORE) – 6-3
3. Coste/Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Krenn/Flores (UU) – 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. #76 Emmanuel Coste (ORE) d. Slava Shainyan (UU) – 6-1, 6-1
2. #30 Joshua Charlton (ORE) vs Franco Capalbo (UU) – 6-1, 6-5 unf.
3. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) vs Geronimo Busleiman (UU) – 7-6(7), 2-5 unf.
4. Jesper Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Francisco Bastias (UU) – 6-3, 6-1
5. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Mathias Gavelin (UU) – 7-5, 6-4
6. Bruno Krenn (UU) vs Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) – 6-4, 5-5 unf.
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5*
* - clincher
For more news and information about the Ducks, follow @OregonMTennis on Instagram and Twitter, and @OregonMensTennis on Facebook.