Ducks Drop Close Battle at San Diego
SAN DIEGO – Oregon picked up the doubles point once again, but couldn't keep that momentum going, dropping several tight matches in singles in a 4-3 loss to San Diego in a nonconference match Sunday.
How it Happened: Once again, the Ducks put up the first point of the day by winning at No. 2 and 3 doubles. Janice Tjen and Lillian Mould opened up a big early lead on the way to a 6-3 win at the No. 2 spot, keeping them unbeaten as a pair on the season. Allison Mulville and Julia Eshet followed shortly after with a comfortable victory of their own, winning 6-2 at No. 3 doubles.
However, the Ducks (9-3) got off to a slow start in singles falling behind early on in the first set of five matches. Ares Teixido Garcia came back to take the opening set of her match, though, before cruising to a win in the second set in a 7-5, 6-2 victory to put up the second Oregon point. Uxia Martinez Moral put up the final point of the day for the Ducks, winning 6-4, 7-5 at the No. 4 spot to make it 3-1 Oregon at that point.
San Diego (6-3) would go on to win the final three singles matches though to clinch the match. Mould dropped her match at No. 2 despite playing a tight second set in a 6-1, 7-6 (8) loss while Tjen lost for the first time in her young collegiate career at No. 1, 6-4, 7-6 (4). Eshet's dropped the clinching match at No. 5, 7-6 (4), 6-2, despite coming back from down two games in set one to force it into a tiebreaker.
San Diego 4, Oregon 3
1. Solymar Colling/Elizabeth Goldsmith (USD) def. Rifanty Kahfiani/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) – 6-4
2. Lillian Mould/Janice Tjen (ORE) def. Kati Kukaras/Elisabeth Andryukhov (USD)– 6-3
3. Allison Mulville/Julia Eshet (ORE) def. Jordyn McBride/Abigail Desiatnikov (USD) – 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 61 Solymar Colling (USD) def. Janice Tjen (ORE), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
2. No. 124 Elizabeth Goldsmith (USD) def. Lillian Mould (ORE), 6-1, 7-6 (8)
3. Jordyn McBride (USD) def. Rifanty Kahfiani (ORE), 6-2, 6-2
4. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Abigail Desiatnikov (USD), 6-4, 7-5
5. Victoria Kalaitzis (USD) def. Julia Eshet (ORE), 7-6 (4), 6-2
6. Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE) def. Jessi Muljat (USD), 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 4, 2, 1, 5*
* - clincher
Up Next: Oregon will have another nonconference road test Monday when it takes on San Diego State at 2 p.m.