Huskies Sweep Pilots To Set Up Pac-12 Road Trip
SEATTLE – Washington improved to 9-4 today and posted its first sweep in over a month as the Huskies took care of Portland, 7-0, at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. Next week the Huskies will start a four-match stretch on the road with a swing down to the Bay Area.
"This match came at a good time," said Head Coach Robin Stephenson. "It was good for a few of our girls to get a win. I thought Portland played and competed well so it was good for us across the board. Good for us to sweep singles and doubles and get some confidence and I think we got a little better today going into next weekend. All in all a good day."
The Dawgs took the doubles point, starting off with a 6-1 win at No. 1 from Vanessa Wong and Sedona Gallagher. Zoey Weil and Yolanda Lin clinched with a 6-4 win at No. 2 over Portland's Zelic/Soares. Sarah-Maude Fortin and Tara Chilton added on a 6-4 win at No. 3 as well.
In singles, Fortin quickly cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 2 singles over Neli Sunjic. Wong then improved to 12-1 at No. 1 singles with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Iva Zelic.
Three Huskies were all competing for a chance to clinch, and Zoey Weil got there first. She finished against Marija Elenova, 6-1, 7-5, at the No. 4 singles spot to make it 4-0 Dawgs. Moments later, freshman Tara Chilton wrapped up a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles over Angela Schuster.
Junior Sedona Gallagher rallied back in the second set and won a 7-3 tiebreak to earn a 6-1, 7-6 (3) win over Emily Soares at the third spot. Freshman Yolanda Lin then clinched the sweep by stopping Lela Daszuta at No. 6 singles, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2.
Next week the Huskies return to Pac-12 play, starting next Friday, Mar. 23, at 20th-ranked California then continuing on Saturday at No. 26 Stanford.
March 21, 2021
Nordstrom Tennis Center | Seattle, Wash.
#42 Washington – 7
Portland – 0
1. (#74) Vanessa Wong (UW) def. Iva Zelic (UP) – 6-2, 6-2
2. Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW) def. Neli Sunjic (UP) – 6-0, 6-0
3. Sedona Gallagher (UW) def. Emily Soares (UP) – 6-1, 7-6 (3)
4. Zoey Weil (UW) def. Marija Elenova (UP) – 6-1, 7-5
5. Tara Chilton (UW) def. Angela Schuster (UP) – 6-4, 6-2
6. Yolanda Lin (UW) def. Lela Daszuta (UP) – 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 4, 5, 3, 6
1. Wong/Gallagher (UW) def. Rouf/Sunjic (UP) – 6-1
2. Weil/Lin (UW) def. Zelic/Soares (UP) – 6-4
3. Fortin/Chilton (UW) def. Schuster/Daszuta (UP) – 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3