Lacrosse Defeats UC Davis for Third Straight Win
TEMPE, Ariz. – Sun Devil Lacrosse picked up their third straight victory, defeating UC Davis 19-14 at Sun Devil Soccer/Lacrosse Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
Coming off the a 2-2 road trip that ended with the biggest win in program history over No. 20 USC, Arizona State (5-2) showed no signs of a letdown. Head Coach Tim McCormack's team took the lead early in the first half and never looked back, leading the 58 of the 60 minutes.
"We had a great team effort today," Coach McComrack remarked. "We competed hard for 60 minutes and played well with the lead."
The Sun Devils pick up their third consecutive win and move to 3-0 at home, outscoring opponents by a total score of 64-30 at Sun Devil Soccer/Lacrosse Stadium. ASU received contributions from throughout the roster, as eight different players scored a goal, 12 collected a ground ball, and eight caused a turnover.
"We definitely like to see scoring and strong defense from multiple players, "Having seven threats to score and options on the back end is definitely beneficial for us."
Maddy Hunter paced the offense in scoring with five points, while Katie Brodsky, Emily Munro, Kerri Clayton, and Emily Glagolev each added four points. Arizona State's patented pressure defense created problems for the Aggies, as they committed 24 turnovers. Berkeley Bonneau reached double-digit saves once again in another active afternoon.
The Maroon & Gold went on three separate 3-0 runs, the most significant of which happened midway through the first half. Already in front 6-4, Arizona State went on a 4-0 run, getting goals from four different individuals to extend the lead to six. The Aggies would pull as close as three in the second half, but the Sun Devils finished strong by scoring the final two goals of the game.
- Arizona State is on a three-game win streak for the second time in Coach McCormack's tenure, outscoring opponents 60-34 during that span.
- The Sun Devils have scored 16+ goals in 11 of the 15 games under Coach McCormack. Prior to his arrival, the program reached the mark just four times in 36 games.
- Maddy Hunter matched a career-high with four goals, last reaching the mark against Manhattan back in 2018.
- Hunter also tied Berkeley Bonneau with a team-high five ground balls.
- For the second-time this season, Katie Brodsky scored four goals. She now has 11 goals in three home games.
- Emily Glagolev recorded her third consecutive hat trick and the 11th of her career.
- It was a career-best performance by Emily Munro, who scored three goals and dished out an assist.
- Berkeley Bonneau enjoyed another double-digit save performance, making 11 stops.
- She now has 30 career double-digit save efforts on her resume, including three-in-a-row.
- Carley Adams and Kerri Clayton both reached the 30-point mark only seven games into the season.
- Maura Cissel helped the Sun Devils win the battle in the circle, earning 11 draw controls.
"The team was able to continue to avoid any possibility of a let down after such a big win by continuing to focus on us and by playing confidently," Senior midfielder Maddy Hunter remarked.
"It's extremely tough to defend our offense because everyone's a threat," Hunter added. "Whether you're the one who scored or not, everyone on the team contributes to the success of the whole"
The Sun Devils remain at home next weekend for a pair of games, beginning a stretch of seven straight Pac-12 conference games. First up, Oregon comes to Tempe for a Friday showdown at 1 pm MST. Watch the game via live stream at the following link with live stats provided here.
The second game of the weekend features Pac-12 power Colorado, taking place on Sunday at 1 pm MST. The contest will be broadcast via live stream at the following link with live stats provided here.
"We need to keep playing Sun Devil Lacrosse which means getting better every day and having fun," Coach McCormack reflected.
"We will continue to focus on the same things everyday and will carry that into the bulk of Pac-12 play," Maddy Hunter observed. "We focus on us, continue to play everyday like it's game day, and we make sure to have fun while doing it!"
HOW TO FOLLOW
Follow our Twitter and Instagram accounts (@SunDevilWLax) and like our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/sundevilwlax/). Visit our website, TheSunDevils.com, for the latest updates and information on the program.