Men's Tennis Drops Match To #49 Oregon
EUGENE, Ore. – The Utah men's tennis team fell 4-0 to No. 49 Oregon on Sunday afternoon to close out the road stretch of conference matches. Coming off a comeback victory on Friday night in Seattle, Utah looked as though it would need the same efforts against the Ducks after dropping all but one first set, but Utah could not catch momentum and fell on the road.
Oregon took 6-1 doubles wins on courts one and three to go up 1-0 to start the day. Despite dropping the doubles point, Slava Shainyan and Francisco Bastias downed Oregon's No. 2 duo of Lam and Vandecasteele 6-3.
The Ducks got off to a quick start in singles and collected all first sets outside of Bruno Krenn's 6-4 first-set victory on court six. Geronimo Busleiman dropped his first set on court three after trading games until the end where he then fell in a narrow tiebreaker, 9-7. Also in a close match was Mathias Gavelin on court five where he had the first set tied 5-5, but gave away the final two games to drop the set 7-5.
Utah recorded its first loss on court one when No. 76-ranked Emmanuel Coste defeated Shainyan, which was followed by an Oregon win over Bastias on court four to push the lead to 3-0. Gavelin fell behind early in his second set, but managed to cut the deficit to just 4-5, but it was too late as his opponent ended the match with a 6-4 win in the second set to clinch the match.
With the remaining matches going unfinished, Krenn was up a set and tied 5-5 in the second when his match was called, while Busleiman looked to send his match to a third set when he led 5-2 in his second set. Franco Capalbo also saw his match go unfinished as he looked to fend off No. 30-ranked Joshua Charlton in the second, send it to a tiebreaker and potentially a third set.
Utah will return to Salt Lake City to begin a seven-match home stretch. Utah will welcome California this Friday, March 26 to the George S. Eccles Tennis Center. The Utes will close out the weekend against Stanford on Sunday, March 28.
Utah 0, Oregon 4
Singles (1, 4, 5)
1. #76 Emmanuel Coste (ORE) def. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 6-1, 6-1
2. #30 Joshua Charlton (ORE) vs. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) 6-1, 6-5, unfinished
3. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) vs. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) 7-6 (9-7), 2-5, unfinished
4. Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) def. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) 6-3, 6-1
5. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) def. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) 7-5, 6-4
6. Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) vs. Bruno Krenn (UTAH) 4-6, 5-5, unfinished
Doubles (3, 2, 1)
1. Joshua Charlton/Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) def. Geronimo Busleiman/Franco Capalbo (UTAH) 6-1
2. Slava Shainyan/Francisco Bastias (UTAH) def. Brandon Lam/Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) 6-3
3. Emmanuel Coste/Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) def. Bruno Krenn/Luis Flores (UTAH) 6-1