No. 20 USC Lacrosse Bounces Back For 20-7 Win Over Bulldogs
LOS ANGELES – The 20th-ranked USC lacrosse team (4-3, 1-1 Pac-12) defeated Fresno State (1-6) by a 20-7 count at McAlister Field on Sunday, March 21. The 20 goals matched the seventh-highest single-game output in program history, a mark the Women of Troy have hit three times this season.
- So. attacker Ella Heaney notched her third-career hat trick game and finished with four goals and three ground balls.
- Gr. attacker Maddie McDaniel pulled in 14 draw controls--one shy of matching her career high--for her fourth game this season with double-digit draw controls. She also scored a goal, picked up two ground balls, and caused a turnover.
- Jr. midfielder Katie Ramsay scored a career-best four goals for her first hat trick this season (fourth of her career).
- Fr. attacker Madison Waters added three goals to become the 26th Trojan to join the USC Hat Trick Club. Waters also had a draw control and caused a turnover.
- Sr. defender Lizzy Wagner marked the top Bulldog scorers and finished the day with five draw controls, two ground balls, and a caused turnover.
- Sr. goalie Riley Hertford put up eight saves and posted her 25th-career win.
- For Fresno State, Logann Eldredge scored three goals. Megan Walaitis and Hennessey Evans each scored twice. Abbigayle Roberts led with five ground balls while Courtney Walburger had 14 saves in the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans out-shot the Bulldogs, 40-19; won the ground ball game, 18-12; and dominated the center circle by a 22-6 count in draw controls.
- While it took USC just under three minutes to score the first goal, the teams went back and forth several times before Fresno State evened the score, 1-1, at 18:13. The Bulldogs closed within two goals of the Trojans at 5-3, but USC roared through a 9-0 scoring run over the last 9:10 of the first half to lead, 14-3 at the break.
- The Women of Troy got second-half goals from Heaney, Finley Ueland, Kelsey Huff, and freshmen Claudia Shevitz, Shelby Tilton, and Waters to finish off a 20-7 home victory.
- USC welcomes Pac-12 foes Colorado and Oregon for two games at McAlister Field next weekend. The Buffaloes get first crack at the Trojans on Friday (March 26) at 4 p.m. PT; and the Ducks visit for a noon PT game on Sunday (March 28). Both contests will be streamed live on USC's live stream platform.
- USC improved to 6-0 all-time against Fresno State and to 4-0 against the Bulldogs at McAlister Field.
- The Trojans went to 49-12 all-time in games played at McAlister Field.
- USC's 20 goals equaled two other 20-goal performances this season (at SDSU, Feb. 13; vs. UC Davis, Mar. 7) and is the 16th time in school history that the Trojans have scored 20 goals or more.
- The victory is ninth-year head coach Lindsey Munday's 105th career win. She is now 105-45 (.700).
All USC women's lacrosse competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines, available at Pac-12.com/health. For more information on the USC women's lacrosse team, a complete schedule, and results, please visit USCTrojans.com. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow the team on Instagram and on Twitter @USCTrojansLax.