Sun Devils Sweep SJSU Spartans With Saturday's Win
TEMPE, ARIZ.-- No. 4 Arizona State water polo held off comeback efforts from No. 17 San Jose State Spartans to beat them 12-8 and take the series sweep on the weekend. ASU had eight different scorers, including freshman Luca Petovary who picked up her 29th goal on the season and extended her scoring streak to 13 straight games.
Coach Todd Clapper praised his team's game two adjustments and noted that, "Overall, I thought we were pretty good. We made some good defensive adjustments, it's a good thing. This is more what I expected (from the team)."
Bente Rogge has a scoring streak of her own with two goals in today's game against the Spartans, she has now scored in 12 straight games. Amira Van Buren, Ali Cameron, and Alba Olive Marti were all Sun Devils who tallied two goals against SJSU in today's 12-8 win. Emma Fraser, Bori Kekesi, and Blaire McDowell were among the other Sun Devil scorers to put points on the board.
Defensively, Itzahiana Baca got the start in goal for the Sun Devils and recorded four saves while holding the Spartans to just a 0.296 shooting percentage. Baca held SJSU to four points in the first half, and the Sun Devils have now outscored their opponents 88-53 in the first half.
The Sun Devils are now 9-4 overall, and 3-1 in conference play after two conference games against SJSU, and are still tied for second with Stanford.
UP NEXT: The Sun Devils will finish up their 15 game home stretch with two conference games against Indiana at Mona Plummer next weekend. They take on IU at 1:00 PM MST on Saturday, Mar 27, and Mar 28 at 10:00 AM MST before their first road games of the season. Both games will be available to watch via the Arizona State Live Stream.
ASU 12, SJSU 8
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Van Buren started off scoring for ASU at the 5:14 mark in the first period.
- Ali Cameron followed with her third goal in two games against SJSU
- The Sun Devils led 4-2 going into the second period of play.
- ASU picked up three more goals in the second period with goals from Fraser, Van Buren, and Petovary.
- Petovary's goal in the second was her 29th of the season.
- Held SJSU to just 2 goals in the second period and went into the half up 7-4.
- SJSU picked up two goals in the third period, but a Petovary assist to Marti set up a behind-the-back shot to extend the lead 8-6.
- Rogge made a penalty shot in the fourth to extend the lead 9-6 for the Sun Devils, putting her at 20 goals on the season.
- ASU pulled away in the fourth off of a four goal quarter to hold off SJSU.
- Itzahiana Baca held the Spartans to eight goals on 27 shots.