Beavers To Battle Loyola Chicago Saturday In Sweet 16
THE GAME: Oregon State (19-12, 10-10 Pac-12) will face Loyola Chicago (26-4, 16-2 Missouri Valley) in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 at 11:40 a.m. PT (2:40 p.m. ET) on Saturday at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind.
TELEVISION: The game will be televised on CBS with Kevin Harlan and Dan Bonner calling the action and Dana Jacobson reporting from the sideline.
RADIO: The game will air live on Beaver Sports Radio Network with Mike Parker calling the action. It can also be heard online at this link.
LIVE STATS: There will be live stats at this link.
QUICKLY: Oregon State has defeated four Top 25 teams (No. 21 Oregon, No. 25 Oregon, No. 23 Colorado, No. 11 Oklahoma State), its most wins over ranked teams in a season since 1979-80 (No. 20 BYU, No. 16 UCLA, No. 19 Arizona State twice) ... In the two NCAA Tournament games, the Beavers are shooting 44.9% (48-for-107) from the field and limiting its opponent to 30.5% (39-for-128) ... Oregon State is shooting 42.1% (45-for-107) from beyond the arc and limiting its opponent to 25.2% (30-for-119) from deep during the current five-game winning streak ... Ethan Thompson is averaging 19.5 points and 8.5 rebounds in the NCAA Tournament ... Warith Alatishe is averaging 10.4 points and 10.0 rebounds during the current five-game winning streak ... Roman Silva is averaging 11.5 points, 8.0 rebounds and 3.5 blocked shots in the two NCAA Tournament games; he averaged 5.3 points, 2.4 rebounds and 0.5 blocks in the previous 29 games ... Maurice Calloo is averaging 10.5 points in the two NCAA Tournament games; he averaged 5.2 points in the previous 29 games.
NCAA Tournament Notes: Oregon State is the No. 12 seed and will play No. 8-seed Loyola Chicago at 11:40 a.m. PT (2:40 p.m. ET) on Saturday in the Sweet 16:
- The Beavers are making their 18th appearance in the NCAA Tournament; it's their first since 2016 and just the second time since 1990.
- Oregon State is 14-20 all-time in NCAA Tournament games.
- This is the first time Oregon State has won an NCAA Tournament game since the 1982 team won two before losing to Georgetown in the West Regional Final.
- The Beavers played in two Final Fours (1949 and 1963).
- Oregon State is 0-1 all-time against Loyola Chicago:
- 1927-28 season (exact date unknown): Loyola Chicago 29, Oregon State 19
- This will mark the second time in NCAA Tournament history that a No. 8 seed is playing a No. 12 seed.
- March 21, 2002: No. 12 Missouri 82, No. 8 UCLA 73
- Oregon State went 5-5 against teams that made the 2021 NCAA Tournament (all Pac-12 opponents) with wins over Colorado, Oregon (twice), UCLA and USC. The losses came against Colorado (twice), Oregon, UCLA and USC.
- Some Oregon State NCAA Tournament individual records include: 31 points by Gary Payton vs. Evansville (3/15/89); 21 rebounds by Mel Counts vs. Seattle (3/11/63); 10 assists by Gary Payton vs. Evansville (3/15/89); seven steals by Charlie Neal vs. Middle Tennessee State (3/15/75); four 3-point field goals by Jarod Lucas vs. Tennessee (3/19/21); 15 free throws made by Ethan Thompson vs. Oklahoma State (3/21/21) and Mel Counts vs. Seattle (3/10/64); 45 minutes by Gary Payton vs. Evansville (3/15/89).
- Oregon State has set three NCAA Tournament team records this year: 10 3-point field goals vs. Tennessee; 32 free throws made vs. Oklahoma State; 11 blocked shots vs. Oklahoma State.
- The Oregon State-Loyola Chicago winner will play the winner of No. 2-seed Houston and No. 11-seed Syracuse.
Click on the PDF for the full game notes.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).