No. 11 USC Men’s Tennis Shines In Shutout of Stanford
LOS ANGELES — The No. 11 USC men's tennis team scored a 7-0 sweep of visiting Stanford at Marks Stadium in following up a string of solid wins with a set of gutsy efforts to preserve the shutout. USC improves to 13-4 overall with today's home victory.
USC dug out a decisive doubles point sparked by a speedy 6-1 win on court two from Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye — keeping them perfect on the year with their seventh straight win as a pair. At the top spot, top-ranked Daniel Cukierman and Riley Smith churned out a 6-2 victory, and USC had that first point plugged on the board to bring up singles.
The Trojans would capture first sets down the line, with Bradley Frye sizzling his way to a swift 6-1, 6-1 win over #119 Tristan Boyer on court four. Healthy and back in the singles lineup today was #104 Stefan Dostanic, who was all business in his return to action and he tore his way to a 6-1, 7-5 win over #94 Arthur Fery to pin up a 3-0 lead for the Trojans. The clinching point would come for USC on court one when #20 Axel Geller retired from the match with USC's #1 Daniel Cukierman leading 7-5, 2-0. The match would play on with tighter battles going on the remaining courts. Pushed to a third set, Lodewijk Weststrate buckled down and barreled his way to a 6-2, 1-6, 6-1 win over Timothy Sah on court five to tug the Trojans ahead 5-0. At the No. 2 spot, USC's #19 Riley Smith was in a fierce battle with #3 Alex Rotsaert. It took a tense 10-point tiebreaker to decide things, with Smith fighting off two match points to beat Rotsaert 12-10 in the breaker for a 6-3, 6-7 (5), 1-0 (12-10) victory that made it 6-0 USC. That left all eyes on court six, where USC's Jake Sands had lost some ground to William Genesen in the second set before making his winning move, topping off the Trojans' shutout win with a 7-5, 7-5 decision.
Next up for the Trojans is a Pac-12 trip to Arizona, where USC will first face the Wildcats on Friday (March 26) before heading to Tempe to take on the Sun Devils on Sunday (March 28).
#11 USC 7, Stanford 0
March 23, 2021 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #1 Cukierman/R. Smith (USC) def. Boyer/Geller (STAN) - 6-2
(2) Dostanic/Frye (USC) def. Fery/Rotsaert (STAN) - 6-1
(3) Sands/Weststrate (USC) vs. Rajesh/Sah (STAN) - 3-4 susp.
Order of finish: 2, 1
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #1 Daniel Cukierman (USC) def. #20 Axel Geller (STAN) - 7-5, 2-0 ret.*
(2) #19 Riley Smith (USC) def. #3 Alex Rotsaert (STAN) - 6-3, 6-7 (5), 1-0 (12-10)
(3) #104 Stefan Dostanic (USC) def. #94 Arthur Fery (STAN) - 6-1, 7-5
(4) Bradley Frye (USC) def. #119 Tristan Boyer (STAN) - 6-1, 6-1
(5) Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. Timothy Sah (STAN) - 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
(6) Jake Sands (USC) def. William Genesen (STAN) - 7-5, 7-5
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1*, 5, 2, 6