Six Duals On Deck This Week For Sand Devils
TEMPE, Ariz. – After two weeks off, Sun Devil Beach Volleyball is back in action, playing six duals this week, including five ranked matchups and a Territorial Cup game at Arizona.
ASU will start with two matches in Phoenix, playing No. 18 Stanford and No. 8 Grand Canyon on Thursday, before traveling to Tucson for the Pac-12 South Tournament on Saturday and Sunday. For times and matchups, head to the Sun Devil Beach Volleyball schedule page.
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (3-2)
- The Sand Devils have not played since March 6-7 at the Cactus Classic in Tucson, Arizona. They went 2-1 in their three matches, picking up wins over Stephen F. Austin and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
- Fifth-year senior Katelyn Carballo is one win away from tying Whitney Follette (2014-17) for the most wins by an individual in ASU history. She is currently at 60 and will have a chance to take sole possession if she wins both matches on Thursday.
- Seniors Samantha Plaster and Cierra Flood are also in the top 10 for individual wins. Plaster is in sixth with 49 and Flood is in eighth with 42.
- Freshmen Taryn Ames and Kate Fitzgerald are the only two Sand Devils who have yet to lose this season with a perfect 4-0 record. They've played in all but one match, pairing with each other and playing at the No. 5 spot primarily.
- Carballo and sophomore Lexi Sweeney also have four wins this season, playing every match on the top court.
No. 18 Stanford (5-3)
- The Cardinal is 3-3 this season, winning their last two against UC Davis and Saint Mary's. The biggest win was against No. 16 UC Davis, getting the upset on opening day.
- ASU and Stanford played twice in 2020 with the Cardinal winning both matchups. The Sun Devils trail in the series record, 5-3.
- The Sun Devils and Cardinal will play twice this week.
No. 8 Grand Canyon (7-3)
- Grand Canyon has three top-20 wins this season: No. 20 Arizona State, No. 10 TCU and No. 20 Tulane.
- This will be the second match against the Lopes for the Sand Devils after losing the first one on opening day, 4-1. The series record is tied at 1-1.
- The Huskies have yet to play any team duals this season. They did have five pairs compete at the Corbin Pairs Tournament, with top duo McPherson and Loreen winning the gold bracket.
- The all-time series record is tied at 2-2. Arizona State won the last matchup in 2019, a 5-0 sweep.
No. 4 UCLA (6-1)
- The Bruins have begun their season with intense competition, with all six of the Bruins wins this season are against ranked teams. The only loss was at No. 3 USC.
- Arizona State has just one win over UCLA in program history, which was back in 2015.
No. 14 Arizona (7-1)
- The Wildcats have two ranked wins this season, one over No. 7 GCU and the other over No. 5 Cal Poly.
- The first of two Territorial Cup matchups will be at Arizona on Sunday. The Sun Devils are looking for their first win over the Wildcats since 2017, which was a win in Tucson. ASU has lost the last five to its rivals.
How to Follow
The Thursday duals will not be live streamed. The Pac-12 South Tournament will be live on the Pac-12 Network. Fans can follow along on Twitter, @SunDevilBeachVB, for updates.