Wrestling: End of Season Notebook
• The Oregon State wrestling team finished the season 4-5 overall and 2-1 against Pac-12 teams.
BEAVERS AT THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
• Six wrestlers qualified for the 2021 NCAA Wrestling Championships, the 38th time in program history that six or more wrestlers have qualified.
• Devan Turner (133), Grant Willits (141), and Hunter Willits (157) all went 2-2 and advanced to the third round in the consolation bracket.
• Ryan Reyes (184) made it to the second round in the consolation bracket and finished 1-2.
TOP OF THE PAC
• Grant Willits (141) and Devan Turner (133) claimed individual titles at the 2021 Pac-12 Wrestling Championships on Feb. 28 after each wrestler went 2-0.
• The Beavers took second as a team with 123.0 points.
• Hunter Willits (157), Ryan Reyes (184), and J.J. Dixon (197) all went 1-1 to take runner-up in their respective weight classes at the Pac-12 Championships.
• Brandon Kaylor (125) finished in third at the conference championships with a 3-1 record.
RUNS IN THE FAMILY
• The Willits brothers, No. 13 Hunter and No. 12 Grant, finished the season first on the team with a 7-2 dual record.
• Grant (141) led the Beavers with an 11-4 overall record, while Hunter (157) posted a season record of 11-5 for the second-best on OSU.
• Both brothers went undefeated in matches decided by major decision, Grant (3-0) and Hunter (4-0).
• Hunter notched the fastest pin on the team this season, 2:05, against Weston Wichman of Chattanooga (Jan. 10).
• Five Beavers -- Matthew Olguin (165), Ryan Reyes (184), Tommy Strassenberg (165), Jason Shaner (133), and Dillon Ulrey (165) -- made their OSU debuts this season.
• Olguin went 4-3 this year with a team-best two pins, his fastest coming at 5:34 against Hunter LaRue (CSU Bakersfield) on Feb. 28.
• Reyes finished the season with a 7-6 record, while Shaner had a 6-1 mark and 3-0 record in matches decided by major decision.
• Strassenberg fell in both of his matches this season and Ulrey dropped his three contests.
SEASON LONG STARTER
• Brandon Kaylor (125), Grant Willits (141), Hunter Willits (157), Colton Beisley (174), and J.J. Dixon (197) all started every dual for Oregon State in their respective weight class.
INDIVIDUAL POINT LEADERS
• No. 13 Hunter Willits posted a team-high 30 points this season in duals, followed by his brother No. 12 Grant Willits with 27, and No. 28 J.J. Dixon with 21.
• Assistant coach Nate Engel earned his first career win on Jan. 14 while serving as head coach against Cal Poly. OSU earned a 23-17 victory.
LEADING THE WAY
• Devan Turner and Grant Willits were team captains this season.
Follow Us On Social
For more information on the Oregon State wrestling team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverWrestling, by Facebook at Facebook.com/OregonStateWrestling or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverWrestling.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).