Aztecs Seek Revenge vs. No. 4 Washington on Sunday
No. 4 Washington (8-1-0, 5-1-0) at San Diego State (0-4-2, 0-4-2)
Sunday, March 28 | 3:30 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
Media Coverage: Aztec Digital Network | Live Stats
• The Aztecs host No. 4 Washington, who won at No. 3 Oregon State 2-1 Wednesday evening, Sunday at 3:30 p.m.
• SDSU was 59 seconds away from earning a 2-1 win at UW (then No. 8) on March 6, but saw the Huskies score the equalizer in the 90th minute and then the game winner on a penalty kick 100 seconds into extra time.
• UW has given up multiple goals just twice in their nine matches, once to No. 3 Oregon State and the other to the Aztecs.
• The Aztecs are in a stretch where they will face a top ten team in four of six matches.
• Five of the Aztecs' six matches have been decided in extra time or in the match's final 10 minutes. SDSU has gone to extra time four times (0-2-2).
• Blake Bowen leads SDSU in points (7) and goals (3).
• Freshman Iñigo Villaldea is second on the team with six points (2 goals & 2 assists) and has a team-high 10 shots. His two goals have come on free kicks from 20+ yards out.
• Three freshmen lead the Aztecs in minutes (Katsaros, Kadono, and Ochoa).
• Following the UW match, SDSU will play at No. 9 Stanford (4-3) and at California (4-10).
• Ryan Hopkins is in his first year as the Aztecs' head coach. He comes to SDSU from Virginia (2018-19) whereas an assistant he helped lead the Cavaliers to the 2019 NCAA Championship match. Hopkins has also made stops as an assistant at Denver (2013-17), Wisconsin (2012), Cal Poly (2009-11) and Concordia (2004-08), his alma mater.
• Hopkins was listed as one of the Top 12 Assistant Coaches by College Soccer News in three of the last four seasons and was named the 2015 NSCAA West Region Assistant Coach of the Year.
• The Aztecs have 13 newcomers (all freshmen), and their recruiting class was ranked in the top 10 nationally by Top Drawer Soccer.
• Andre Ochoa was named to Top Drawer Soccer's Freshman Best XI preseason team. Ochoa was one of just four freshmen midfielders chosen and the only Pac-12 freshman named.
• The Aztecs posted a 3.26 team GPA in the 2020 fall semester, best among SDSU's men's programs.
Notes from the UCLA Match (T, 2-2 March 24)
• SDSU tied UCLA 2-2 Wednesday evening, their second draw against the Bruins this year. The Aztecs opened up a 2-0 lead behind first half goals from Iñigo Villaldea (free kick) and Andre Ochoa and then saw the Bruins come back to tie it up.
• Goalkeeper Tetsuya Kadono collected a career-high nine saves and faced 25 shots and 16 corner kicks. Kadono blocked a penalty kick in the fifth minute to preserve SDSU's early lead.
• The Aztecs hadn't earned two results (win or draw) in a season against UCLA since 2007.
• Redshirt freshman Ryan McCusker made his collegiate debut against the Bruins and sophomore Esteban Zepeda made his season debut.
Coach Hopkins' Take on No. Washington
"What an exciting opportunity for our group with No. 4 Washington rolling into town. They are a hard-nosed, organized and determined team that will be difficult to break down. We relish the challenge and still have a chip on our shoulder from the way our match in Seattle ended. You will see a resilient fiery performance from our guys on both sides of the ball as we battle for this win."
Opponent Notebook (Washington)
Washington is 8-1-0 overall and 5-1-0 in conference… They are currently ranked No. 4 in the country but just won 2-1 at No. 3 Oregon State on Wednesday…They have outscored their opponents 24-5 and their +19-goal differential is the best in the country… They are also top ten in the country in goals per game (8th, 2.67), shots per game (8th, 16.11) and shots on goal per game (4th, 7.56)… Dylan Teves has 14 points and four of his five goals have been game-winners… Charlie Ostrem's six assists are the fourth most in the country… Goalkeeper Sam Fowler has the best goals allowed average (0.417) and save percentage (.870) in the Pac-12… Head coach Jamie Clark (10th season) is the reigning Pac-12 Coach of the Year and has a record of 124-47-20 at UW. He has led the Huskies to two Pac-12 titles and seven NCAA tournament appearances... The Aztecs are 6-22-8 all-time against Washington… Their last win was in 2016, a 1-0 road win when UW was No. 10 in the country.