Buffs Drop Fifth-Straight Against Gauchos
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The University of Colorado women's tennis team dropped its fifth-straight match Friday afternoon against UC Santa Barbara, 5-2 here.
Colorado (7-7, 1-4 Pac-12) dropped the doubles point against the Gauchos (2-3) but were able to tie things back up at two points apiece thanks to Maria Campos and Megan Forster in the No.4 and No.5 singles matches. UCSB took a 3-2 advantage before capping off the match with a pair of three set matches in the No.1 and No.6 singles matches.
Campos and Forster made easy work of their opponents, as Campos defeated Lisa Sentenac 6-1, 6-2 after Forster defeated Kira Reuter 6-2, 6-0. With things tied up, the Gauchos took the No.3 singles match with Shakhnoza Khatamova defeating Antonia Balzert 6-4, 6-1 before clinching the match in the No.6 singles match as Marta Gonzalez Balbe defeated Fleur Eggink 6-1, 5-7(5), 6-1.
The final match was a close one as Elizaveta Volodko defeated Sara Nayar in the No.1 singles match. Volodko took the first set with ease at 6-1, before Nayar tied things up with a grueling 7-6(5) victory in the second. The two went extra points again in the third, tied all the way to 6-6 in the tiebreaker before Volodko took the next took points and the match.
The doubles team of Nayar and Eggink picked up the only win in doubles for CU 6-4 against Volodko and Sentenac.
Colorado added a match against the University of San Francisco which will be playing Sunday at 2 p.m. MT.
UC Santa Barbara 5, Colorado 2
1. Elizaveta Volodko (UCSB) def. Sara Nayar (COLO) 6-1, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (8-6)
2. Camille Kiss (UCSB) def. Sophia Derivan (COLO) 6-2, 6-0
3. Shakhnoza Khatamova (UCSB) def. Antonia Balzert (COLO) 6-4, 6-1
4. Maria Campos (COLO) def. Lisa Sentenac (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
5. Megan Forster (COLO) def. Kira Reuter (UCSB) 6-2, 6-0
6. Marta Gonzalez Balbe (UCSB) def. Fleur Eggink (COLO) 6-1, 5-7 (5-7), 6-1
1. Sara Nayar/Fleur Eggink (COLO) def. Lisa Sentenac/Elizaveta Volodko (UCSB) 6-4
2. Kira Reuter/Shakhnoza Khatamova (UCSB) def. Megan Forster/Sophia Derivan (COLO) 6-0
3. Camille Kiss/Marta Gonzalez Balbe (UCSB) def. Ky Ecton/Maria Campos (COLO) 6-3
UC Santa Barbara 2-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,5,4,3,6,1)