Huskies Win Another Tight Match
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Washington gets another close win on the road with a 4-3 victory over the San Diego State Aztecs. Junior Jack Davis won the second set tie breaker in No. 3 singles to clinch the match.
The Huskies (9-7) lost another close doubles point. "This one we definitely had some things we can clean up," said Anger. "Our doubles play was so-so at best and we had a couple of guys not playing their best today." Alexis Alvarez and Davis fought at No. 2 doubles but couldn't get the tie break and suffered a 7-6 (12-10) loss. Ewen Lumsden and Han Chih-Lin did get the win at No. 3 and defeated Gonzalez/Rikkonen, 6-2.
Ewen Lumsden was the first Husky to post a point for the second week in a row at the No. 2 singles spot today defeating Victor Castro, 6-2, 6-1. Then Adam Torocsik at the No. 6 spot won 6-2, 6-2 defeating Judson Blair.
Lin pulled through with another win at No. 4 singles defeating Aaro Pollanen 6-4, 6-2.
This day it was Davis who was the deciding factor at No. 3 singles. He won the second set tiebreaker and defeated Rafael Gonzalez 6-2, 7-6, (7-5) to finish the win for the Huskies.
"Anytime you win on the road it feels good," said Anger. "We get a couple days off here and we get back to Pac-12 tennis next weekend back here in SoCal against USC and UCLA."
Washington will be back in Southern California next weekend to take on the USC Trojans on Friday, April 2, at 2:00pm.
Washington Men's Tennis
March 26, 2021
Aztec Tennis Courts | San Diego, Calif.
1. Johannes Seeman (SDSU) def. #83 Clement Chidekh (UW) 6-1, 6-4
2. Ewen Lumsden (UW) def. Victor Castro (SDSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Jack Davis (UW) def. Rafael Gonzalez (SDSU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Han-Chih Lin (UW) def. Aaro Pollanen (SDSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Roni Rikkonen (SDSU) def. Jack Pulliam (UW) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Adam Torocsik (UW) def. Judson Blair (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 1, 6, 4, 5, 3
1. Johannes Seeman/Victor Castro (SDSU) def. Cancel/Chidekh (UW) 6-2
2. Ignacio Martinez/Judson Blair (SDSU) def. Alexis Alvarez/Davis (UW) 7-6 (12-10)
3. Lumsden/Lin (UW) def. Rafael Gonzalez/Roni Rikkonen (SDSU) 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2