Silseth Dominant as Cats Top Ducks, 5-4
TUCSON, Ariz. — Behind an overpowering performance from starting pitcher Chase Silseth, the Arizona Wildcats (15-6, 2-2) secured a 5-4 series-opening victory over the visiting Oregon Ducks (11-5, 2-2) on Friday night.
Silseth (4-0) was brilliant from start to finish for the Cats and worked 6.2 one-run innings. He allowed just three hits and struck out a career-high 11 batters on 103 pitches.
The offense provided just enough throughout the night to put Arizona on top. Donta' Williams provided the initial spark, doubling off the wall in left to score the game's first run in the bottom of the third.
The Wildcats added another run in the third, Williams drove in another in the fifth, and Daniel Susac and Kobe Kato helped plate two more in the eighth to seal the deal.
Right-handed reliever Preston Price added another page to his list of 2021 heroics in the seventh inning; he entered with the bases loaded and Arizona up 3-1 before striking out Kenyon Yovan to end the threat.
- CF Donta Williams: 1-for-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- DH Jacob Berry: 2-for-3, RBI, BB
- C Daniel Susac: 1-for-4, R, 2B, RBI
- 3B Nik McClaughry: 1-for-2, R, BB
- RHP Preston Price: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 4 K
- RHP Vince Vannelle: 1.0 IP, 1 K, Save
Number of the Day
- Arizona's pitching staff combined to pick up 16 strikeouts, their second-highest total of the year (17 vs. Dallas Baptist).
Photo of the Day
Tweet of the Day
— Arizona Baseball (@ArizonaBaseball) March 27, 2021
Arizona goes for the series win over No. 16 Oregon on Saturday. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m. MST with a television broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks.