Carballo Gets Record, Sand Devils Split
TUCSON, Ariz. – Katelyn Carballo broke the ASU record for career individual wins as Sun Devil Beach Volleyball split its matches on the first day of the Pac-12 South Tournament on Saturday. Arizona State beat Washington, 4-1, before falling to No. 4 UCLA, 5-0.
Fifth-year senior Carballo earned her 62nd win against the Huskies to take sole possession of first place for career wins by an individual. She passed Whitney Follette, who was the previous record holder.
Game One: Arizona State 4, Washington 1
Arizona State (4-5, 1-2 Pac-12) continued its success against Washington by winning 4-1. Every court but the No. 2 court picked up a win for the Sun Devils. The Huskies won the first sets on courts one, two and four, but the Sand Devils responded on courts one and four to force a third set. The dual was up for grabs as those third sets were playing, but ASU needed one and UW needed both. Taryn Ames and Kate Fitzgerald clinched the dual on court four.
Results (Order of Finish: 2, 5, 3, 4*, 1)
???? DEVILS WIN!!!
4?? #SandDevils pick up the match & duel point!
ASU 3 | UW 1
— Sun Devil Beach VB (@SunDevilBeachVB) March 27, 2021
- Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Scarlett Dahl/Natalie Robinson (UW) 19-21, 27-25, 14-13
- Chloe Loreen/Shayne McPherson (UW) def. Emily Anderson/Aleksandra Sochacka (ASU) 21-7, 21-16
- Cierra Flood/Sarah Water (ASU) def. Kyra Petersen/Ashley Shook (UW) 21-14, 21-18
- Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) def. Avie Niece/Hannah Yerex (UW) 20-22, 21-19, 15-7
- Lila Bordis/Samantha Plaster (ASU) def. Cassidy Schilling/Callie Weber (UW) 21-15, 21-15
Game Two: No. 4 UCLA 5, Arizona State 0
The second dual was all Bruins from start to finish. The defending national champions swept all five courts. The closest battle was on court four with Ames and Fitzgerald battling to extra points in the second set.
Results (Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1*, 4, 5)
- Lexy Denaburg/Savvy Simo (UCLA) def. Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-17, 21-16
- Lea Monkhouse/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Emily Anderson/Aleksandra Sochacka (ASU) 21-7, 21-10
- Devon Newberry/Lindsey Sparks (UCLA) def. Cierra Flood/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-12, 21-15
- Megan Muret/Jacqueline Quade (UCLA) def. Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) 21-9, 24-22
- Rileigh Powers/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Lila Bordis/Samantha Plaster (ASU) 21-9, 22-15
Arizona State will play two more duals in the Pac-12 South Tournament, playing No. 18 Stanford at 12:45 p.m. MST and No. 14 Arizona at 4:30 p.m. MST. Both will be on the Pac-12 Network.