Ducks Beat San Diego to Cap Home Stand
EUGENE, Ore. – Powered by a tough doubles point and solid play across the board in singles, the Oregon men's tennis team recorded a 6-1 win over San Diego Saturday afternoon. The victory pushes the Ducks' record to 13-2 this season and extends the team's winning streak to five.
How it Happened: The opening point of the match came down to No. 2 doubles where Emmanuel Coste and Jesper Klöv-Nilsson were playing up from their usual third spot. With the score tied at 6-all, the UO pair dropped the first two points of the tiebreaker but responded and took at 4-2 lead at the switch. San Diego got to within one at 4-3 and 5-4 but Coste and Klöv-Nilsson pulled through with the 7-6(4) win to clinch the doubles point.
The newly formed duo of Brandon Lam and Ryoma Matsushita were first off the court with a 6-3 victory at No. 3 doubles. A win at the top spot by the visitors tied things before Coste and Klöv-Nilsson posted their 10th win of the season as a team.
Oregon has won the doubles point in 12 of 15 matches this year.
Klöv-Nilsson and Joshua Charlton raced through their respective matches, tallying identical 6-0, 6-1 lines to quickly push the Ducks' lead to 3-0. Klöv-Nilsson is now 12-1 this season while Charlton is right on his heels with an 11-2 mark of his own.
At No. 5 singles, Lam clinched the team win with his 6-3, 6-3 triumph over Marvin Schaber. The Ducks followed up with wins at No. 3 and 6 by Quinn Vandecasteele and Matsushita, respectively, to claim the fifth and sixth points of the day. San Diego (5-7) got on the board with a win at No. 1 singles, the final match of the day.
Up Next: Oregon returns to Pac-12 play next weekend with a road trip to Los Angeles to face UCLA and No. 15 USC. The Ducks' next home match is April 16 when they host Stanford.
Oregon 6, San Diego 1
1. Holmgren/Norfeldt (USD) d. Charlton/Q. Vandecasteele (ORE) – 6-2
2. Coste/Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Borter/Schaber (USD) – 7-6(4)
3. Lam/Matsushita (ORE) d. Kurtz/Kasday (USD) – 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #39 August Holmgren (USD) d. Emmanuel Coste (ORE) – 6-2, 7-6(5)
2. Joshua Charlton (ORE) d. Nico Borter (USD) – 6-0, 6-1
3. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) d. David Norfeldt (USD) – 6-3, 6-2
4. Jesper Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Garrett Kurtz (USD) – 6-0, 6-1
5. Brandon Lam (ORE) d. Marvin Schaber (USD) – 6-3, 6-3
6. Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) d. Blake Kasday (USD) – 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 5*, 3, 6, 1
* - clincher
For more news and information about the Ducks, follow @OregonMTennis on Instagram and Twitter, and @OregonMensTennis on Facebook.