Ducks Fall to No. 1 USC, No. 14 Arizona
TUCSON, Ariz. – Taking on elite opposition, Oregon fought hard but ultimately fell, 5-0, in matches against No. 1 USC and No. 14 Arizona on the opening day of the Pac-12 South Invitational Saturday.
How It Happened: Up against the top-ranked team in the nation in the first match of the day, the Ducks couldn't get much going at any of the five courts, falling straight sets at each spot. Carly Wallace and Anastasia Lima put up a good fight in set two against USC's No. 1 pair but ultimately fell, 21-10, 21-15, while Josie Cole and Zoe Almanza were the only Oregon pair to reach double-figures in both sets in a 21-15, 21-12 loss at No. 3.
The Ducks turned in another valiant effort in the nightcap against No. 14 Arizona, but again lost 5-0. The Ducks kept it close for most of the way in the opening set at three spots, but were again swept in all five matches. Wallace and Lima cut it to 17-16 in set one at the No. 1 spot before a late Arizona run on the way to falling 21-16, 21-14.
Madelyn LaFollette and Vivian Donovan tied it up at 11 in the opening set at the No. 2 spot before dropping the game, then led 11-10 midway through set two before falling in that set in a 21-17, 21-16 loss. Savannah Siegrist and Delaney Hopen had set point on court No. 5, leading 20-19 in the opening set, but a 3-0 Wildcat run to close out handed them a 22-20 loss, before they dropped set two, 21-15.
#1 USC 5, Oregon 0
1. Tina Graudina/Sammy Slater (USC) def. Carly Wallace/Anastasia Lima (ORE) 21-10, 21-15
2. Julia Scoles/Hailey Harward (USC) def. Madelyn LaFollette/Vivian Donovan (ORE) 21-9, 21-4
3. Megan Kraft/Haley Hallgren (USC) def. Josie Cole/Zoe Almanza (ORE) 21-15, 21-12
4. Joy Dennis/Delaynie Maple (USC) def. Savannah Siegrist/Delaney Hopen (ORE) 21-9, 21-15
5. Audrey Nourse/Nicole Nourse (USC) def. Bea Wetton/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) 21-9, 21-11
Order of Finish – 2, 1, 3, 4, 5
#14 Arizona 5, Oregon 0
1. Alana Rennie/Alex Parkhurst (ARIZ) def. Carly Wallace/Anastasia Lima (ORE) 21-16, 21-14
2. Brooke Burling/Sarah Blacker (ARIZ) def. Madelyn LaFollette/Vivian Donovan (ORE) 21-17, 21-16
3. Makenna Martin/Carly Lowry (ARIZ) def. Josie Cole/Zoe Almanza (ORE) 21-14, 21-7
4. Dana Parker/Mady Noble (ARIZ) def. Bea Wetton/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) 21-15, 21-14
5. Jonny Baham/Abby Russell (ARIZ) def. Savannah Siegrist/Delaney Hopen (ORE) 22-20, 21-15
Order of Finish – 3, 4, 1, 2, 5
Up Next: The Ducks play two more matches against ranked Pac-12 teams on Sunday, taking on No. 11 California at 8 a.m. and No. 4 UCLA at 10:15 a.m. Both will be on the Pac-12 Network.