Huskies Can’t Snap Cardinal’s Unbeaten Streak
STANFORD, Calif. – Freshman Sarah-Maude Fortin picked up one of the biggest wins of her young career today at the No. 2 singles spot, but Washington was unable to pin a first loss on the Stanford Cardinal, which improved to 10-0 and 6-0 in Pac-12 play with a 6-1 win over the Huskies at Taube Tennis Stadium.
With the Cardinal having clinched, Fortin rallied to win her second set, 6-4, over Emily Arbuthnott to send things into a third set super-tiebreak. That breaker went back and forth with Fortin saving match point on three occasions before she eventually ripped a winner at 13-12 to win it, 14-12, dropping her racket on the follow through in celebration.
But where the third set tiebreak giveth, it also taketh away, and Vanessa Wong was on the wrong side of another marathon super-tiebreak today at the No. 1 singles spot. Against Michaela Gordon, the 2019 Pac-12 Singles Player of the Year, Wong first had to win a standard tiebreak in the second set, and she saved four straight match points to come back and win that, 8-6, to force the next tiebreak. Down 6-9, Wong again saved three straight match points, and then a fourth for 10-10, but Gordon got the last two points to win it, 12-10, handing Wong just her second loss of the season. Both losses have come in super-tiebreaks for Wong.
Stanford won a closely contested doubles point and then clinched with three singles wins at three, four, and six where the Huskies were unable to keep things close. After earning a big win on Friday at Cal, Zoey Weil had another good effort today at No. 5 singles but came up short to Sarah Choy, 6-4, 7-6.
The Huskies will be on the road again next week, staying in the Pac-12 to face Colorado on Apr. 2 and Utah on Apr. 4.
Washington Women's Tennis
March 27, 2021
Taube Tennis Stadium | Stanford, Calif.
#49 Washington – 1
#35 Stanford – 6
1. Michaela Gordon (Stan) def. (#30) Vanessa Wong (UW) – 6-4, 6-7 (6), (12-10)
2. Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW) def. Emily Arbuthnott (Stan) – 2-6, 6-4, (14-12)
3. Angelica Blake (Stan) def. Sedona Gallagher (UW) – 6-2, 6-0
4. (#103) Anna Geller (Stan) def. Tara Chilton (UW) – 6-2, 6-1
5. Sara Choy (Stan) def. Zoey Weil (UW) – 6-4, 7-5
6. Emma Higuchi (Stan) def. Yolanda Lin (UW) – 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 4, 5, 2, 1
1. Wong/Gallagher (UW) vs. Gordon/Madurawe (Stan) – 5-4, DNF
2. Arbuthnott/Blake (Stan) def. Weil/Lin (UW) – 6-4
3. Choy/Higuchi (Stan) def. Fortin/Chilton (UW) – 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3