No. 4 UCLA Sweeps No. 11 California, 5-0
TUCSON, Ariz. -- No. 4 UCLA (9-1) posted a 5-0 sweep without dropping a set over No. 11 California (5-3) on Saturday morning at the Pac-12 South Tournament at Bear Down Beach. With the win, the Bruins improved to 9-0 all-time against the Golden Bears.
Court one was the first to finish where Lexy Denaburg and Savvy Simo made quick work of Ainsley Radell and Jordan Polo in straight sets, 21-13, 21-12. Denaburg and Simo improved to 9-1 on the year with their sixth-straight win.
Devon Newberry and Lindsey Sparks were the next to finish on court three with a 21-15, 21-12 straight-set win over Alexia Inman and Maddie Micheletti to put UCLA up 2-0. Newberry and Sparks improved to 7-1 on the year with their fourth-consecutive victory.
Court four was the clinching court where Megan Muret and Jacqueline Quade defeated Cal's Katie Smoot and Brooke Buchner, 21-15, 21-16. Muret and Quade improved to 8-2 on the year with their sixth-straight win.
Rileigh Powers and Jaden Whitmarsh put the Bruins up 4-0 with a 21-12, 21-15, win over the Golden Bears' Francesca Gettings and Grace Paulson on court five. Powers and Whitmarsh improved to 6-2 on the year with their fourth-straight victory.
Lea Monkhouse and Abby Van Winkle was down 10-3 early in the first set and trailed 19-18 in the second set, but rallied to win both over Cal's Caroline Schafer and Mima Mirkovic, 21-18, 22-20. Monkhouse and Van Winkle improved to 4-2 on the year with their second-straight win.
The Bruins return to action later today when they face Arizona State at 4:30 p.m.
No. 4 UCLA def. No. 11 California, 5-0
Bear Down Beach • Tucson, Ariz.
Saturday, March 27, 2021
RECORDS: UCLA (9-1), California (5-3)
1. Savvy Simo/Lexy Denaburg (UCLA) def. Ainsley Radell/Jordan Polo (CAL); 21-13, 21-12
2. Abby Van Winkle/Lea Monkhouse (UCLA) def. Caroline Schafer/Mima Mirkovic (CAL); 21-18, 22-20
3. Devon Newberry/Lindsey Sparks (UCLA) def. Alexia Inman/Maddie Micheletti (CAL); 21-15, 21-12
4. Megan Muret/Jacqueline Quade (UCLA) def. Katie Smoot/Brooke Buchner (CAL); 21-15, 21-16
5. Rileigh Powers/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Francesca Gettings/Grace Paulson (CAL); 21-12, 21-15
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4*, 5, 2