No. 4 Water Polo Gets the Dub on Senior Day
TEMPE, ARIZ.-- The No. 4 ranked Arizona State water polo team defeated Mountain Pacific Sports Federation conference foe, No. 14 Indiana, on Senior Day behind a dominant four goal performance for senior Bente Rogge who extended her scoring streak to 13 straight games. Rogge's four goals moved her into 9th all-time in program history with 135 in her career, sitting behind Mariam Salloum who has 138 goals, and passing Katie Hedley (134) and Lena Mihailovic (131).
Rogge led the Sun Devil offense on Saturday, getting it done on both sides of the ball, recording two assists, a steal, and three drawn exclusions. Lara Kiss and Blaire McDowell also backed up the full team effort, each recording a goal and three steals while Kiss was able to tack on four assists against Indiana.
Defensively, Chelsea Karimazondo saw three quarters of play in goal after starting for the Sun Devils, and was able to notch seven saves in her 24 minutes. Senior Belen Ehinger replaced Karimazondo in the fourth, where other seniors, Meghan Beaudet and Kate Cassidy also saw playing time and held the Hoosiers to just one goal in that fourth quarter.
Head Coach Todd Clapper was proud of his team's strong defensive performance, "I thought we played well. We did a pretty good job and defensively controlled the looks that they got and us getting really nice blocks. Both goalies played really well."
After four years in this program the seniors all saw time in the water whether it be starters or substitutions. Coach Clapper, who has been coaching the team going on 16 seasons has seen many players come and go, but praised senior day and getting to see all of his seniors play, "It was great. Obviously when we have senior day, we want them to be able to show what they can do, what they've learned, and how they're playing. It's really nice."
Up Next: The Sun Devils will host Indiana tomorrow Sunday, March 28 at Mona Plummer for the final game of this 15 game home stand at 10:00 AM MST before hitting the road for two games against California.
ASU 9, Indiana 2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rogge started scoring and got the Sun Devils on board early with her first goal at the 6:24 mark, and extended her scoring streak to 13 straight games.
- McDowell followed with a goal with 3:47 remaining in the first quarter.
- The Sun Devils led 2-0 at the end of one.
- Rogge's second goal came with 2:03 in the second quarter, and Lara Kiss found the net shortly after to extend the lead.
- ASU went into half up 4-0.
- Rogge started scoring to open third with her third goal just 22 seconds into the third quarter. Alba Olive Marti scored a power play goal with an assist from Rogge with 2:48 left in the third to make it a 6-0 lead.
- Karimazondo held the Hoosiers scoreless until the final minutes of the third quarter where they recorded their first goal with 2:18 remaining.
- ASU took a 7-1 lead into the fourth thanks to Rogge's fourth goal, and senior Belen Ehinger replaced Chelsea Karimazondo in goal.
- Luca Petovary recorded a goal with 5:57 in the fourth quarter to extend her scoring streak to 14 straight games.
- Kate Cassidy, Meghan Beaudet, and Belen Ehinger were all in the pool alongside their teammates to cap off senior day.