Arizona Sweeps Day Two of Pac-12 South Invitational
TUCSON, Ariz. -- The Arizona Wildcats (10-2) went 2-0 in day two of the Pac-12 South Invitational against Utah and in-state rival ASU. The Cats completed their fifth 5-0 sweep of the season against Utah and went 4-1 against ASU.
Against Utah the Cats had a quick 39 minute match to complete the sweep. All five courts won their Arizona point in two sets with opponents only being allowed into double digits on three occasions. In the shortest match of the day, first time pair Hope Shannon and Olivia Hallaran went 21-7, 21-6 to complete their match in record time. Brooke Burling and Sarah Blacker finished just behind them with a final sets score of 21-7, 21-8, making them 3-0 on the season. Pairs Alana Rennie and Alex Parkhurst advanced to 4-0 on court No. 1 and first time pair Makenna Martin and Carly Lowry saw their first victory together.
The match against in-state rival ASU saw four out of five courts go to three sets ending in a 4-1 victory in favor of the Cats. Mady Noble and Dana Parker were the only pair to earn an Arizona point in two sets going 21-17, 21-4 on court No. 4. Pairs Natalie Anselmo and Carly Lowry (7-1) and Hope Shannon and Olivia Hallaran (2-0) fell in their first set but came back to win it in second and third. Brooke Burling and Sarah Blacker advanced to 4-0 after they won the last set of the tournament going, 21-16, 17-21, 15-11. Alex Parkhurst and Alana Rennie fell in three sets to complete their first loss of the season putting up a strong fight ending with 21-16, 17-21, 15-9.
Head Coach Steve Walker
On the tournament as a whole
"First and foremost I have to thank all the wonderful people that helped to pull off such a great event, while dealing with a few difficult conditions.
With that said, this was exactly what the doctor ordered for our team. We needed to see this kind of competition, and needed to respond better than we did in past weeks. I was proud of our group's competitive spirit.
But we can't relax. There's always great competition on the horizon, but I love going to work with this collection of players."
Arizona 4, Arizona State 1
1. Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Alana Rennie/Alex Parkhurst (ARIZ) 21-16, 17-21, 15-9
2. Brooke Burling/Sarah Blacker (ARIZ) def. Emily Anderson/Aleksandra Sochacka (ASU) 21-16, 17-21, 15-11
3. Natalie Anselmo/Carly Lowry (ARIZ) def. Sarah Waters/Cierra Flood (ASU) 20-22, 21-12, 15-8
4. Mady Noble/Dana Parker (ARIZ) def. Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) 21-17, 21-10
5. Olivia Hallaran/Hope Shannon (ARIZ) def. Samantha Plaster/Lila Bordis (ASU) 12-21, 21-15, 15-11
Order of finish: Doubles (4,3,1,5,2);
Arizona 5, Utah 0
1. Alana Rennie/Alex Parkhurst (ARIZ) def. Sage Patchell/Keana Smalls (UTAHBVB) 21-9, 21-15
2. Brooke Burling/Sarah Blacker (ARIZ) def. Marissa Koch/Grace Andrews (UTAHBVB) 21-7, 21-8
3. Makenna Martin/Carly Lowry (ARIZ) def. Camille Lee/Olivia Teerlink (UTAHBVB) 21-18, 21-5
4. Jonny Baham/Abby Russell (ARIZ) def. Macy Rideout/Joana Saucedo Mondra (UTAHBVB) 21-8, 21-14
5. Olivia Hallaran/Hope Shannon (ARIZ) def. Abby Cramer/Kaiya Liwanag (UTAHBVB) 21-7, 21-6
Order of finish: Doubles (5,4,3,2,1);