Beavers To Battle Houston Monday In NCAA Tournament Elite Eight
THE GAME: Oregon State (20-12, 10-10 Pac-12) will face Houston (27-3, 14-3 American Athletic) in the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight at 4:15 p.m. PT (7:15 p.m. ET) on Monday at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Ind.
TELEVISION: The game will be televised on CBS with Ian Eagle and Jim Spanarkel calling the action and Jamie Erdahl reporting from the sideline.
RADIO: The game will air live on Beaver Sports Radio Network with Mike Parker calling the action. It can also be heard online at this link.
LIVE STATS: There will be live stats at this link.
QUICKLY: Oregon State has five wins against Top 25 teams, its most in a season since the 1975-76 team also won five ... The Beavers' last win against a Top 10 team came in Wayne Tinkle's first season (Oregon State 58, No. 7 Arizona 56 on Jan. 11, 2015) ... In the three NCAA Tournament games, the Beavers are shooting 43.7% (69-for-158) from the field and limiting its opponent to 31.3% (57-for-182) ... Oregon State is shooting 41.7% (50-for-1120) from beyond the arc and limiting its opponent to 24.6% (35-for-142) from deep during the current six-game winning streak ... Ethan Thompson (1,705) passed A.C. Green (1,694) and moved into seventh on Oregon State's career scoring list ... Thompson is shooting 96.2% (25-for-26) from the free throw line in the NCAA Tournament ... Warith Alatishe is leading the Pac-12 in double-figure rebounding games (14) and offensive rebounding (3.28) ... Jarod Lucas leads the Pac-12 and is 13th in the nation in free throw percentage at 89.6% (103-for-115) ... Tariq Silver has 13 assists and no turnovers in 162 minutes this season.
NCAA Tournament Notes: Oregon State is the No. 12 seed and will play No. 2-seed Houston at 4:15 p.m. PT (7:15 p.m. ET) on Monday in the Elite Eight:
- The Beavers are making their 18th appearance in the NCAA Tournament; it's their first since 2016 and just the second time since 1990.
- Oregon State is 15-20 all-time in NCAA Tournament games.
- This is the first time Oregon State has won an NCAA Tournament game since the 1982 team won two before losing to Georgetown in the West Regional Final.
- Oregon State has equaled its most NCAA Tournament wins, tying the 1963 Final Four Team.
- March 11, 1963: Oregon State 70, Seattle 66
- March 15, 1963: Oregon State 65, San Francisco 61 (Provo, Utah)
- March 16, 1963: Oregon State 83, Arizona State 65 (Provo, Utah)
- Oregon State is 2-0 all-time against Houston:
- March 11, 1966: Oregon State 63, Houston 60 (NCAA West Regional in Los Angeles, Calif.)
- March 18, 2009: Oregon State 49, Houston 45 (CBI in Corvallis, Ore.)
- Oregon State went 5-5 against teams that made the 2021 NCAA Tournament (all Pac-12 opponents) with wins over Colorado, Oregon (twice), UCLA and USC. The losses came against Colorado (twice), Oregon, UCLA and USC.
- Some Oregon State NCAA Tournament individual records include: 31 points by Gary Payton vs. Evansville (3/15/89); 21 rebounds by Mel Counts vs. Seattle (3/11/63); 10 assists by Gary Payton vs. Evansville (3/15/89); seven steals by Charlie Neal vs. Middle Tennessee State (3/15/75); four 3-point field goals by Jarod Lucas vs. Tennessee (3/19/21); 15 free throws made by Ethan Thompson vs. Oklahoma State (3/21/21) and Mel Counts vs. Seattle (3/10/64).
- Oregon State has set three NCAA Tournament team records this year: 10 3-point field goals vs. Tennessee; 32 free throws made vs. Oklahoma State; 11 blocked shots vs. Oklahoma State.
Click on the PDF for the full game notes.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).