Ducks Drop 4-1 Setback to No. 10 UCLA
EUGENE, Ore. – The Oregon women's tennis team won the doubles point against No. 10 UCLA but it wasn't enough in a 4-1 loss Sunday afternoon at the UO Student Tennis Center outdoor courts. With the result, the Ducks are now 11-4 overall with a 4-2 mark in Pac-12 play.
How it Happened: The Ducks continued their season-long trend of strong doubles play against UCLA, winning the opening point of the match with wins at the No. 2 and 3 spots. Oregon has now won the doubles point in 14 of 15 matches this season with the only setback at Arizona State (March 5).
At No. 2 doubles, Lillian Mould and Janice Tjen recorded an impressive 6-2 victory to get the Ducks on the board with tight matches still in play at the No. 1 and 3 spots. Down 4-3 at No. 3 doubles, Allison Mulville and Julia Eshet broke their opponents twice in the final three games to come away with a 6-4 triumph to give Oregon the first point of the day.
However, UCLA (11-3, 5-0) was quick to respond with straight-set wins at No. 1, 2 and 5 singles to take a 3-1 lead in the match. Eshet won the first set of her match at No. 6 and Rifanty Kahfiani, having dropped a tight breaker in the first, was still locked in a tight match at the No. 3 spot.
Eshet led 5-3 in the second and looking to get on the board at No. 4 singles, Uxia Martinez Moral had taken a 5-4 lead in the second set. In a quick shift in momentum, UCLA's Vivian Wolff rattled off three-consecutive games against Martinez Moral to come away with a 6-3, 7-5 win at the four spot. The win clinched the match for the Bruins.
Matches at No. 3 and 6 singles were left unfinished.
Up Next: The Ducks close out their home schedule next weekend with matches against California and Stanford as Pac-12 play continues. The home weekend begins April 2 against Cal with first serve set for 11:30 a.m. (PT).
#10 UCLA 4, Oregon 1
1. #51 Forbes/Hart (UCLA) vs Kahfiani/Martinez Moral (ORE) – 5-3 unfinished
2. Mould/Tjen (ORE) d. Goulak/Wolff (UCLA) – 6-2
3. Mulville/Eshet (ORE) d. Johnson/Altick (UCLA) – 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. #8 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) d. Janice Tjen (ORE) – 6-3, 6-1
2. Jada Hart (UCLA) d. Lillian Mould (ORE) – 6-4, 6-0
3. Sasha Vavgramov (UCLA) vs Rifanty Kahfiani (ORE) – 7-6(5), 2-3 unfinished
4. Vivian Wolff (UCLA) d. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) – 6-3, 7-5
5. Annette Goulak (UCLA) d. Allison Mulville (ORE) – 6-3, 6-1
6. Julia Eshet (ORE) vs Vanessa Ong (UCLA) – 6-4, 5-6 unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 2, 4*
* - clincher
For more news and information about the Ducks, follow @OregonWTennis on Instagram and Twitter, and @OregonDucksWomensTennis on Facebook.