Men's Tennis Falls at No. 19 Arizona, 4-1
TUCSON, Ariz. – The UCLA men's tennis team got off on the right foot Sunday afternoon, but was overcome in singles play by No. 19 Arizona in a 4-1 loss at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
The Bruins (8-3, 2-1 in Pac-12 play) collected the doubles point without dropping a match, but the Wildcats (17-4, 4-0) charged back to prevail in the first four finished singles contests. Two of the decisions were made in three sets. The unfinished singles matches were also in third sets.
Roscoe Bellamy and Mathew Tsolakyan set the tone out of the gate for UCLA, cruising to a 6-1 win over Jared Horwood and Jett Middleton on Court 3. Then, with each side clinging to a 5-4 advantage on the remaining courts, Bryce Pereira and Keegan Smith saw an opportunity and seized it on the top court. The Bruins earned a break of serve on deuce point against Filip Malbasic and Jonas Ziverts, securing the first point of the match.
Three singles first sets went to Arizona by 7-5 margins. The Wildcats would take four in all.
Malbasic got Arizona on the board first, closing out No. 57 Baird with a 7-5, 6-0 result on Court 3. No. 30 Gustaf Strom followed soon after with a straight-set victory of his own, 7-5, 6-2 over Nanda on Court 2, giving the Wildcats a 2-1 advantage.
In a matchup of top-60 opponents on the top court, No. 59 Ziverts outlasted No. 48 Smith, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4. The singles loss represents Smith's first since Jan. 25, a stretch of eight matches. Another streak ended in the deciding match, as Tsolakyan fell to Nick Lagaev on Court 6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-0. Tsolakyan had won 13 singles matches in a row dating back to Feb. 15, 2020.
UCLA will return home for three matches in five days, starting Friday, April 2 against Oregon. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m., PT. The Bruins will also take on Washington Saturday, April 3 (1 p.m.) and San Diego Tuesday, April 6 (2:30 p.m.).
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs Arizona
3/28/2021 at Tucson, AZ
(LaNelle Robson Tennis Center)
#19 Arizona 4, UCLA 1
1. #59 Jonas Ziverts (ARIZ) def. #48 Keegan Smith (UCLA) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
2. #30 Gustaf Strom (ARIZ) def. Govind Nanda (UCLA) 7-5, 6-2
3. Filip Malbasic (ARIZ) def. #57 Drew Baird (UCLA) 7-5, 6-0
4. Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) vs. Ben Goldberg (UCLA) 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 1-2, unfinished
5. Carlos Hassey (ARIZ) vs. Sam Feit (UCLA) 7-5, 3-6, 1-2, unfinished
6. Nick Lagaev (ARIZ) def. Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
1. Bryce Pereira/Keegan Smith (UCLA) def. Filip Malbasic/Jonas Ziverts (ARIZ) 6-4
2. #74 Carlos Hassey/Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) vs. Drew Baird/Govind Nanda (UCLA) 5-4, unfinished
3. Roscoe Bellamy/Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) def. Jared Horwood/Jett Middleton (ARIZ) 6-1
Arizona 17-4; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,2,1,6)