Pac-12 Opening Win
SALT LAKE CITY – Stanford men's tennis opened conference play in triumphant fashion, beating Utah on the road, 5-2. The Cardinal improves to 3-3 on the season, while Utah moves to 11-8 (1-4 Pac-12).
Stanford was quick to claim the doubles point, leading for the duration on all three courts. Arthur Fery and Alexandre Rotsaert picked up a 6-1 win, while Neel Rajesh and Timothy Sah closed out a 6-3 result. Tristan Boyer and Axel Geller were leading on court one when their match was suspended.
The Cardinal scored the first three doubles victories to clinch the match, with Fery, Sah and Geller winning in straight sets. Fery picked up his team-leading fifth win of the season, while Geller added his second clinching point. Boyer finished the afternoon with a win on court three.
Stanford returns home to face UC Davis on Tuesday before resuming Pac-12 play next weekend against Arizona State and Arizona.
Stanford 5, Utah 2
1) Boyer/Geller (STAN) led Busleiman/Capalbo (UTAH) 5-4, susp.
2) Fery/Rotsaert (STAN) d. Bastias/Shainyan (UTAH), 6-1
3) Neel Rajesh/Sah (STAN) d. Luis Flores/Chris Heck (UTAH), 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1) Axel Geller (STAN) d. Slava Shainyan (UTAH), 6-3, 6-4
2) Franco Capalbo (UTAH) d. Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN), 6-3, 6-3
3) Tristan Boyer (STAN) d. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH), 7-5, 6-4
4) Arthur Fery (STAN) d. Francisco Bastias (UTAH), 6-3, 6-2
5) Timothy Sah (STAN) d. Bruno Kenn (UTAH), 6-1, 6-4
6) Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) d. Alex Lee (STAN), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 1, 6, 2, 3