Sun Devils Fall in Competitive Match at Colorado
BOULDER, Colo - In the final road match of the season, Sun Devil Volleyball battled with Colorado, falling in a close three sets (25-23, 27-25, 26-24) on Sunday afternoon.
- Arizona State (5-13) was within two points in all three sets, two going to extra points. However, Colorado took the match to win the season series.
- The Sun Devils already had four aces after the first set and ended with eight total aces.
- Freshman Marta Levinska earned her third double-double, second in a row, with 11 kills and a match-high 13 digs. She also had two blocks.
- Another freshman Ella Snyder also earned a double-double with a match-high 30 assists and 10 digs. It was her seventh double-double of the season. She also earned a new career high in aces with three to lead the team.
- Sophomore Iman Isanovic was the other Sun Devil to reach double figures in kills, earning a match-high 12 on a .211 clip. She added an ace to her stat line as well.
- Senior Megan Beedie had a strong match, collecting eight kills on a .429 clip and earning a team-high four blocks and one ace.
Set One: Colorado 25, Arizona State 23
Arizona State started off set one with a 3-0 scoring run that included two aces. Levinska had a massive back row kill that extended ASU's lead to 10-6. Colorado responded with a 4-0 scoring run, cutting their deficit to 14-13, which forced the Sen Devils to take their first timeout. Levinska crushed the ball and got the lead back for ASU 16-15. ASU took their second timeout after Colorado came within one 20-19. The Sun Devils tied the game back up at 23-23, but the Buffaloes scored two in a row and took set one 25-23.
Set Two: Colorado 27, Arizona State 25
Colorado went on a 6-0 scoring run and took the early lead at 6-2. Arizona State took back the lead 15-14 after Snyder dumped the ball. The teams traded leads again until Colorado got the advantage at 22-21 and forced ASU to take a timeout. A block from Isanovic tied the game at 24-24 which made Colorado take a timeout of its own. The Sun Devils had an ace which got them the lead 25-24, but the Buffs quickly tied it back up 25-25. The Buffaloes went on a 3-0 run to end the game 27-25.
Set Three: Colorado 26, Arizona State 24
Colorado went on a 4-0 scoring run and gained the lead at 4-1. ASU responded and was able to tie the game at 5-5. The Buffaloes went on a 3-0 run and got the lead back 8-5. A 3-0 run for the Sun Devils made up of a kill from Roberta Rabelo and two Buffs errors gave them the lead at 11-9. However, Colorado gained the lead back at 18-15. Back-to-back kills from Levinska put ASU ahead at 22-21, but Colorado responded with two in a row to take the lead again at 23-22, forcing a timeout from the Sun Devils. Isanovic tied the game 24-24 with a massive kill at the net, but Colorado finished the match and took set three, 26-24.
The Sun Devils will be returning home to Tempe to play the Oregon Ducks next week on Thursday and Saturday.