USC Lacrosse Sends Ducks South in 16-9 Victory
LOS ANGELES – The USC lacrosse team (6-3, 3-1 Pac-12) defeated Oregon (1-7, 1-3) by a 16-9 count at McAlister Field on Sunday, March 28, to close the first half of the Trojans' conference schedule.
- Gr. attacker Maddie McDaniel was dominant in the center circle again and pulled in 13 draw controls for her sixth game this season in double digits. She scored four goals for her first USC hat trick (15th career) and matched her career high of four goals for the eighth time. McDaniel also had an assist and two ground balls.
- Sr. attacker Izzy McMahon scored three goals for her second hat trick of the season (12th career) and had two assists and three draw controls.
- Fr. midfielder Madison Waters collected her second hat trick of the year with three goals and caused three turnovers.
- Sr. defender Lizzy Wagner pulled in three draw controls, picked up three ground balls, and caused three turnovers.
- Sr. goalie Riley Hertford had seven saves and three ground balls in her 27th-career win.
- For Oregon, Lillian Stump scored three goals for the hat trick and added an assist. Morgan McCarthy had two goals and two assists. Hanna Hilcoff won six draw controls and scored a goal. Sydnie Soto picked up five ground balls on defense and Alle Dunbar had 14 saves in the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans out-shot the Ducks, 45-16, and controlled the center circle by a 19-8 count. USC picked up 10 more ground balls than Oregon (24-14) and capitalized on 21 Duck turnovers.
- USC scored the first five goals of the game in 10 minutes with two from McDaniel at the line, but Oregon snapped the scoreless streak and put two on the board within 70 seconds of each other.
- McMahon (2) and Waters (3) combined to score the next five USC goals as part of a 5-1 Trojan run and put the Women of Troy on top, 10-3, with 5:29 left to play in the first half. With 2:09 left on the clock, Hilcoff scored the first of three goals by the Ducks to close the gap and put Oregon within four goals at halftime.
- The Ducks extended to a 4-0 run when Stump scored the first goal of the second half, but senior attacker Sarah Larkin, sophomore attacker Ella Heaney, and McDaniel scored three straight USC goals for a 13-7 lead at 22:34.
- Oregon got one more, but the Trojans scored another 3-0 run before the Ducks put one more on the board with under three minutes left to play to make the final score 16-9 for the Trojans.
- USC opens the back half of the Pac-12 schedule with its slingshot trip to Colorado and Oregon. The Trojans visit the Buffaloes (3-5, 1-3 Pac-12) first on Friday (April 2) and will play at Kittredge Field in Boulder, Colo., at noon PT. USC and Oregon will play at Papé Field in Eugene, Ore., on Sunday (April 4) at 2 p.m. PT and be shown live on Pac-12 Networks.
- USC improved to 8-3 all-time against Oregon and to 4-1 in home games with the Ducks.
- The Trojans improved to 51-12 all-time in games played on McAlister Field.
- Last time USC and Oregon met on McAlister Field (April 7, 2019), the Trojans recorded their first and only shutout (16-0). Coupled with the shutout and the game on March 17, 2019 in Eugene, Ore., the Trojans had held the Ducks scoreless for 72:18 when Oregon scored at 19:43 in the first half of today's game.
All USC women's lacrosse competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines, available at Pac-12.com/health. For more information on the USC women's lacrosse team, a complete schedule, and results, please visit USCTrojans.com. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow the team on Instagram and on Twitter @USCTrojansLax.