Utah Tennis Falls To Stanford 5-2 In Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City – Utah tennis hosted the Stanford Cardinal this Sunday afternoon at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center for its Pac-12 home opener. Utah battled from the start, but after falling behind early, the Utes could not get enough momentum and fell 5-2.
During doubles, Stanford took the match on court two 6-1 and left the Utes needing both remaining courts. On court three, Chris Heck and Luis Flores had the match tied 3-3, but dropped the next three games to grant Stanford their first point. On court one, Franco Capalbo and Geronimo Busleiman trailed 1-4 early on and were rallying to keep Utah alive. The top doubles team brought the score to 4-5, but their match was unfinished as court three's match decided the point.
Stanford took control of three courts to begin singles play, although Capalbo and Bruno Krenn were able to take a first set. Busleiman had the first set tied 5-5, but could not finish it off as his opponent took the first set 7-5.
On court four, Bastias fell to Stanford's Fery 6-3, 6-2, while soon after came Krenn falling to Stanford's Sah 6-1, 6-4, pushing the Cardinal lead to 3-0. On court one, Shainyan battled through a tough second set after dropping the first, but Stanford's Axel Geller took the upper hand and closed it out 6-4 when the match was tied 4-4 in the second set that had gone back-and-forth to clinch the match.
The Utes' first and second points came one after the other. First, Mathias Gavelin downed his opponent swiftly 6-2, 6-2 on court six. Moments later on the next court over was Capalbo, who defeated Stanford's Rotsaert, 6-3 6-3, on court two.
After his narrow loss in the first set, Busleiman battled through a tough set once again against Stanford's Boyer, but fell 6-4 in the second to end the match and have Stanford leave town with a 5-2 victory.
Utah will take a pause from Pac-12 play on Tuesday, March 30, hosting San Diego State and Montana State at the Eccles Tennis Center. Utah and San Diego State will play at 12 p.m. MT, while the second match of the day is slated for 5 p.m. MT against Montana State.
STANFORD 5, UTAH 2
1. Axel Geller (STAN) def. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 6-3, 6-4
2. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) def. Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) 6-3, 6-3
3. Tristan Boyer (STAN) def. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) 7-5, 6-4
4. Arthur Fery (STAN) def. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) 6-3, 6-2
5. Timothy Sah (STAN) def. Bruno Krenn (UTAH) 6-1, 6-4
6. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Alex Lee (STAN) 6-2, 6-2
1. Franco Capalbo/Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) vs. Axel Geller/Tristan Boyer (STAN) 4-5, unf.
2. Arthur Fery/Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) def. Francisco Bastias/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 6-1
3. Timothy Sah/Neel Rajesh (STAN) def. Chris Heck/Luis Flores (UTAH) 6-3