Utah Tennis Picks Up Pair of Wins Tuesday
Salt Lake City – The Utes paused Pac-12 play this Tuesday afternoon for a doubleheader against San Diego State and Montana State at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center. Utah took both doubles points in the pair of matches and collected a 5-2 win over San Diego State following singles play, as well as a 6-1 win over Montana State to end the day's action.
UTAH 5, SDSU 2
During doubles, the Utes played lively and close matches. On court one, Utes Francisco Bastias and Slava Shainyan fell short, ceding their match to San Diego State 6-4. Luis Flores and Franco Capalbo took charge on court two, establishing a lead against the Aztec duo and holding on for the victory, 6-4, and leaving the doubles point decision to court three.
Geronimo Busleiman and Chris Heck battled out with SDSU's Rafael Gonzalez and Aaro Pollanen, keeping a tight score during the entirety of the match. Nearing the finish line, the Utes and Aztecs tied the match 6-6, sending the court three match into a tiebreaker where the Utes took the victory 7-3 to earn the doubles point.
After securing the tough doubles point, the Utes moved into singles matches, where the competitive matches continued. Early on, Bastias secured his advantage on court four, and downed his opponent 6-2, 6-2. Soon after, Busleiman also downed his opponent quickly, 6-2, 6-2 on court three. Following his teammates' lead, Capalbo took the victory against SDSU's Johannes Seeman, 6-4, 6-1 on court one and granted the Utes their match-clinching point.
On court five Mathias Gavelin awarded the Utes with their fifth point when he defeated his opponent 6-4, 6-4. On court two, Shainyan ultimately fell to SDSU's Victor Castro, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2, while Rian Ta put up another fight against SDSU's Judson Blair on court six, but ultimately fell short in a tight match 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).
UTAH 6, MSU 1
During the second match of the day, the Utes were up against the Montana State Bobcats. Doubles play was another highlight for Utah as the point was secured early on. On court three, Busleiman and Gavelin were quick to defeat the MSU duo, 6-3. Bastias and Shainyan followed, and downed their opposition 6-3 to guarantee Utah the doubles point.
The Utes pulled through to end the day in singles and take the 6-1 victory after winning all but one match. The team's second point came on court one, where Capalbo took a commanding win over MSU's Joaquin Espinoza, defeating him 6-1, 6-1. Mathias Gavelin followed, downing the opposition 6-3, 6-4 and securing the Utes' third point. On court two, Busleiman downed his opponent after a tight first set where he trailed early, but bounced back for a 7-5 first-set win. He cruised in the second set for a 6-1 win to ensure a Utah victory.
On court four, Bastias was leading 2-1 in the third set, but retired to give Montana its first point of the match. After a long and difficult match on court three, Shainyan took the victory over MSU's Daan Van Dijk. Shainyan fell short in the first set and was down 5-0 in the second set, but won the next seven games and took the win in the second. He rolled in the tiebreaker (10-4) to complete the comeback. Finally, Luis Flores also took the victory after two close sets, finishing court six with two tiebreakers and taking the win 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5).
The Utes will hit the road for two matches at the end of the week. The first match will be against Nevada at the McArthur Tennis Center in Reno, Nev. at 1 p.m. MT on Thursday, Apr. 1. The road trip will then continue when the Utes will face UC Davis on Friday, Apr. 2 at 11 a.m. at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
Utah 5, San Diego State 2
1. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) def. Johannes Seeman (SDSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Victor Castro (SDSU) def. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
3. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) def. Ignacio Martinez (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) def. Rafael Gonzales (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Aaro Pollanen (SDSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Judson Blair (SDSU) def. Rian Ta (UTAH) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Johannes Seeman/Victor Castro (SDSU) def. Francisco Bastias/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 6-4
2. Luis Flores/Franco Capalbo (UTAH) def. Ignacio Martinez/Judson Blair (SDSU) 6-4
3. Geronimo Busleiman/Chris Heck (UTAH) def. Rafael Gonzalez/Aaro Pollanen (SDSU) 7-6 (7-3)
Utah 6, Montana State 1
1. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) def. Joaquin Espinoza (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) def. Nejc Sitar (MSU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) def. Daan Van Dijk (MSU) 6-7 (3-7), 7-5, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Brad Buckland (MSU) def. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) 3-6, 6-2, 1-2, retired
5. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Jakob Mosvild (MSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Luis Flores (UTAH) def. Jacob Huppin (MSU) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5)
1. Francisco Bastias/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) def. Daan Van Dijk/Nejc Sitar (MSU) 6-3
2. Luis Flores/Franco Capalbo (UTAH) vs Joaquin Espinoza/Brad Buckland (MSU) 5-4, unf.
3. Geronimo Busleiman/Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Manuel Monteiro/Jakob Mosvold (MSU) 6-3