Cal Plays Ranked Doubleheader Saturday
BERKELEY – No. 9 California beach volleyball will take on two ranked foes this Saturday at the Beach Volleyball Stadium on Stanford's campus. The Bears will line up against No. 5 Cal Poly and No. 18 Stanford in what should be a competitive day of volleyball.
Cal's matches vs. Stanford will be streamed online and on the Pac-12 Now App.
The Bears enter the weekend having won five of their six matches this past week, including a win over No. 6 Hawaii and three straight wins at the Pac-12 South Invitational.
Saturday, April 3 – Stanford, California
2 p.m. PT – No. 5 Cal Poly
4 p.m. PT – No. 18 Stanford
CAL TAKES ON CAL POLY, STANFORD
- Cal will play their fifth and sixth matchup of the season vs. ranked opponents as they take on No. 5 Cal Poly and No. 12 Stanford on Saturday.
- Cal is coming off a 5-1 week which saw the Bears defeat UC Davis and No. 6 Hawaii midweek at Davis, before heading to Arizona for four matches on the weekend. Cal fell to No. 4 UCLA, but defeated Washington, Oregon and Utah at the Pac-12 South Tournament.
- The win over Hawaii was the fifth top-10 win in program history and Cal's first-ever win over Hawaii.
- Cal has won four consecutive matchups with Stanford and is 6-4 all-time vs. their Bay Area rivals. 2020 was the first time since Cal's program was started that the Bears didn't play the Cardinal, although they were on the schedule multiple times when the season was shut down.
- Cal is 5-1 all-time vs. Cal Poly and 1-1 against them when the Mustangs are ranked in the top 10.
BEARS GET AS HIGH AS EIGHTH IN POLL
- After one week of action, the Bears moved up to eighth in the AVCA rankings, the highest ranking in program history.
- Cal is currently ranked ninth in the poll and has been ranked in the top 12 in every poll since April 23, 2018, a span of 1072 straight days to Saturday's opener.
- Cal returns six of the 10 players that were in the 2020 lineup for all 10 matches, including three of the four members of the Bears' top two pairs: Mima Mirkovic, Caroline Schafer and Jordan Polo.
- Mirkovic was named an honorable mention All-America in 2019, while Polo was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year.
- The Bears are also led by four seniors who have a combined 327 matches of experience: Mirkovic (80), Schafer (82), Alexia Inman (84) and Maddie Micheletti (81).
- Mirkovic won her 50th career game in the No. 1 pair, this past weekend vs. Utah.
- Cal pairs that experience with a talented group of youngsters: sophomore Ainsley Radell and freshman Brooke Buchner were both AVCA High School All-Americans.
- Cal has used 14 different pairings in 19 different lineup spots so far during the 2021 season as the Bears try to combat health issues and integrating a number of young players into their lineup.
- Eight different players have made their collegiate beach debut in 2021: Francesca Gettings, Katie Smoot, Maddie Sundholm, Kate Bierly, Brooke Buchner, Ava Mann, Maya Gessner and Grace Paulson.