USC Women's Volleyball Runs Off Buffaloes for Four-Set Victory
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (6-8, 6-8 Pac-12) won its third straight match in a four-set victory (24-26, 25-18, 25-20, 25-22) over Colorado (8-11, 8-11) at Galen Center on Thursday, April 1.
- Sr. OH Brooke Botkin logged her 27th-career double-double (ninth of the season) as she led the Trojans with 15 kills (6e, 41att, .220) and 10 digs.
- So. OH Kalen Owes scored 13 kills (6e, 29att) and hit .241 to go with nine digs and two blocks.
- So. MB Aleksandra Gryka had 11 kills (3e, 20att) with a .400 hitting percentage and had five digs and three blocks.
- So. OPP Emilia Weske contributed 11 kills (4e, 32att, .219) and added six digs, four blocks, and two service aces.
- Sr. MB Candice Denny had six kills (4e, 19att, .105) and reached double-digit points with four blocks and two aces.
- Jr. setter Raquel Lázaro earned her sixth double-double of the season (38th career) with 45 assists and a match-high 16 digs. She also had two kills, one block and a service ace.
- So. LIB Sophia Theriot had 10 digs and put up five assists.
- For Colorado, Sterling Parker (3e, 28att, .321) and Leah Clayton (2e, 35att, .286) each had 12 kills to lead the Buffaloes. Jenna Ewert put up 24 assists and had 11 digs for a double-double.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans led by as many as four points several times and had set point at 24-22, but the Buffaloes turned the tables and used a 4-0 run to snatch the first set from USC. The Trojans got five kills from Botkin and four from Gryka in the loss.
- USC came out with a chip on its shoulder and ran ahead of the Buffs by 10 at 18-8 in the second set. Colorado cut the lead in half at one point, but six kills from Owes and four from Weske with a .282 team hitting percentage sewed up a 25-18 win for the Women of Troy.
- The Trojans claimed the 2-1 lead in the match with a 25-20 win in the third. USC needed just nine kills to get the job done as Colorado did damage to itself with seven service errors, six attack errors (three on USC blocks), and a setting error in the loss. The Buffs also had two reception errors on USC service aces.
- USC led nearly the entire way in the fourth set, but CU kept on forcing ties and caught up to the Trojans at 20-all. USC scored the next four to take match point, but again the Buffaloes saved a pair before Botkin hammered home the final kill of the night to close a 25-22 win for USC.
- USC and Colorado meet once more for both teams' regular-season finale on Saturday (April 3) at Galen Center. First serve is set for 1 p.m. PT.
- USC improved to 19-1 all-time against Colorado and to 10-0 in home matches with CU. It was the Trojans' fifth straight win over the Buffaloes.
- The Trojans earned their first home win of the season to improve to 1-3 in four home contests. It was the 170th win all-time at Galen Center for USC (170-45).
This season (2020-21), the Pac-12 plays a 22-match Conference-only schedule as its 2020 season, which began on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. All volleyball competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines available at Pac-12.com/health.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.