Aztecs Look to Keep Rolling at No. 6 Stanford
San Diego State (1-4-2, 1-4-2) at No. 6 Stanford (7-1-1, 5-1-1)
Saturday, April 3 | 3 p.m. PT | Maloney Field at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium | Stanford, Calif.
Media Coverage: Pac-12 Networks (Bay Area) | Live Stats
• The Aztecs play No. 6 Stanford Saturday at 3 p.m. The match will be shown on the Pac-12 Networks (Bay Area), which requires a subscription.
• SDSU forced extra time against Stanford (then No. 4) the last time they met before falling 1-0 to the Cardinal. The Aztecs held Stanford without a shot for the first 47 minutes and only gave up three shots on goal the entire match.
• The Aztecs are coming off a 2-0 win over No. 4 Washington, their first win over a ranked opponent since Nov. 6, 2016.
• Goalkeeper Tetsuya Kadono and midfielder Andre Ochoa were honorable mention selections on Top Drawer's Soccer's National Team of the week following their performances against UCLA (2-2) and No. 4 Washington (2-0) last week.
• Kadono had a career-high nine saves (including a PK) while facing 25 shots and 16 corners against UCLA and then recorded a shutout against the Huskies while collecting eight saves. He is now second in the Pac-12 in saves per game (3.4).
• SDSU has trailed at halftime just once this season.
• The Aztecs are in a stretch where they will face a top ten team in five of seven matches.
• Five of the Aztecs' seven matches have been decided in extra time or in the match's final 10 minutes. SDSU has gone to extra time four times (0-2-2).
• SDSU's nine goals have come from six different players. Blake Bowen leads the team with three goals and seven points. Freshman Iñigo Villaldea is second on the team with six points (2 goals & 2 assists). His two goals have come on free kicks from 20+ yards out.
• Outside of SDSU's 5-0 loss at No. 4 Oregon State, the Aztecs have only been outscored 10-9 this season.
• Three freshmen lead the Aztecs in minutes (Katsaros, Kadono, and Ochoa).
• Ryan Hopkins is in his first year as the Aztecs' head coach. He comes to SDSU from Virginia (2018-19) whereas an assistant he helped lead the Cavaliers to the 2019 NCAA Championship match. Hopkins has also made stops as an assistant at Denver (2013-17), Wisconsin (2012), Cal Poly (2009-11) and Concordia (2004-08), his alma mater.
• The Aztecs have 13 newcomers (all freshmen), and their recruiting class was ranked in the top 10 nationally by Top Drawer Soccer.
Notes from the UW Match (W, 2-0 March 28)
• SDSU beat No. 4 Washington last Sunday, recording their first shutout of the season and earning their first win over a ranked team in nearly five years.
• It was the Aztecs' first win over a top five team since October 1, 2006 (1-0 vs. No. 4 Washington).
• Washington has given up just seven goals in their 10 matches and four came from the Aztecs.
• SDSU had just three shots on goal but scored on two of them.
• SDSU's goals came from Tristan Weber, his first of the season, and Austin Wehner, the first of his career.
• Goalkeeper Tetsuya Kadono collected eight saves and earned the second shutout of his career.
• Kevin Peraza and Arturo Chavez earned their first starts of the season.
Coach Hopkins' Take on No. 6 Stanford
"Stanford will provide an immense challenge, one that I know our guys are up for. We are improving so much every week and are a much different team from four weeks ago when we lost an overtime thriller to them home. It's another opportunity for us to grow and continue the upward trajectory of the program. Also, some big history on the line in the game which our guys want to take secure as well."
Opponent Notebook (Stanford)
Washington is 7-1-1 overall and 5-1-1 in conference… They are currently ranked No. 6 in the country… Last week they tied Cal at home and beat UCLA 3-0 on the road…Their lone loss came at No. 6 Washington (0-1)… They have outscored their opponents 23-4 and their +19-goal differential is third in the country… They are also top ten in the country in corner kicks per game (5th, 7.8), goals per game (7th, 2.56), shots per game (8th, 16.2) and shots on goal per game (9th, 7.0)… Zach Ryan had 17 points and seven goals, both are top ten in the country…Charlie Wehan's six assists are the fifth most in the country… Goalkeeper Andrew Thomas has a goals allowed average of 0.50… Head coach Jeremy Gunn (9th season) is 117-33-29 at Stanford. He is one of four coaches to win an NCAA title in both Division I and II… The Aztecs are 12-20-8 all-time vs. Stanford… The Aztecs last win vs the Cardinal came in 2011.