No. 16 USC Men’s Tennis Whips Up 4-0 Win Over Washington
LOS ANGELES — The No. 16 USC men's tennis team whipped up a swift win over visiting Washington with a 4-0 decision at Marks Stadium. A decisive doubles point was followed by a string of three straight-set singles victories, with Stefan Dostanic serving up the clincher. The victory improves USC to 15-5 overall and to 3-1 in Pac-12 play.
USC dug out the doubles point in speedy fashion, sparked by a 6-0 sweep on court three by Ryder Jackson and Lodewijk Weststrate. At the top spot, #2 Daniel Cukierman and Riley Smith hit the finish line before their court two teammates could wrap things up, with the two Trojan seniors capturing a 6-2 win on court one to pocket the doubles point for USC.
Singles saw the Trojans claim first sets on all but one court, with Ryder Jackson muscling his way to a solid 6-1, 6-2 win over Adam Torocsik on court six to sneak the Trojans ahead 2-0. At the No. 4 spot, Lodewijk Weststrate pinned up a similarly decisive scoreline in topping Han-Chih Lin 6-1, 6-3 to tug the Trojans within one win of team victory. Three Trojans were closing in on finish lines in their respective matches, but it was #87 Stefan Dostanic who sealed the deal with his 7-5, 6-3 clincher from court two.
Next up for the Trojans is a Pac-12 clash with No. 49 Oregon tomorrow (April 3) at 1 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
#16 USC 4, Washington 0
April 2, 2021 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #2 Cukierman/R. Smith (USC) def. Cancel/Davis (UW) - 6-2
(2) Dostanic/Frye (USC) vs. Alvarez/Chidekh (UW) - 5-2 susp.
(3) Jackson/Weststrate (USC) def. Lin/Lumsden (UW) - 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 1
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #26 Daniel Cukierman (USC) vs. #73 Clement Chidekh (UW) - 6-1, 5-5 susp.
(2) #87 Stefan Dostanic (USC) def. Ewen Lumsden (UW) - 7-5, 6-3*
(3) Bradley Frye (USC) vs. Jack Davis (UW) - 4-6, 6-4 susp.
(4) Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. Han-Chih Lin (UW) - 6-1, 6-3
(5) Jake Sands (USC) vs. Jack Pulliam (UW) - 6-3, 5-5 susp.
(6) Ryder Jackson (USC) def. Adam Torocsik (UW) - 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2*