USC Track & field Shines At Florida Relays, Stanford Invitational
Anna Cockrell won the women's 400m hurdles and Cameron Samuel the men's 400m hurdles to lead the Trojans at the Florida Relays in Gainesville, Fla. today (April 2). Trey Knight won the men's hammer throw to lead USC during the first day of the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, Calif. today.
- Cockrell opened up in the women's 400m hurdles with an NCAA-leading time of 55.65. She won the event by nearly two seconds. Breanna Bernard-Joseph finished eighth with a time of 60.03.
- Samuel won the men's 400m hurdles also with an NCAA-leading time of 49.67. He edged Robert Dunning of Alabama by 0.03 seconds.
- Earnest Sears III took second in the men's high jump with a best clearance of 7-3.75 (2.23m). He tied for the highest clearance, but took second on misses. He went out at 7-5.00 (2.26m).
- Lanae-Tava Thomas took second in the women's 200m dash with a season-best time of 23.03 (+2.0).
- Morgan Smalls finished third in the women's long jump with a PR of 20-10.00/6.35m (+0.6). She opened with a personal-best tying 20-2.25/6.15m (+1.7), then kept improving, first to 20-8.00/6.30m (+0.9) and then finally her PR of 20-10.00 which sits just outside of USC's all-time top 10. Thomas placed fourth in the women's long jump with a best leap of20-9.75/6.34m (+1.1).
- George Gleason had a season-best time of 3:46.29 to finish fifth in the men's 1500m race. That time moved him from 10th to 8th on USC's all-time list. Josh Ligas finished 21st in the 1500m with a time of 3:56.43.
- Eric Allen Jr. had a season-best time of 20.79 (+0.9) to place seventh in the men's 200m dash. Daniel Robinson finished 15th with a season-best time of 21.32 (+1.9).
- Knight won the men's hammer throw with a mark of 209-11 (64.00m). Nathan Bultman was fourth in the hammer throw with a mark of 192-11 (58.81m) and Christian Johnson was seventh with a throw of 183-8 (55.99m).
- Joy McArthur finished fourth in the women's hammer throw was a mark of 196-9 (59.98m) and Karlee Freeman was fifth with a throw of 179-2 (54.61m).
- Dylan Lange placed fifth in the men's javelin throw with a mark of 152-6 (46.50m).